BSIABII sensitive to buffered signal

Started by hilbi, August 11, 2006, 02:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilbi

Yesterday I was messing with my bsiaibII. When I used it off side my pedal board (unbuffered) is sounded much darker then when i Inserted it onto my pedalboard (buffered). I use the amz super buffer as first in my signal chain.

I'm aware the buffers in general can cause some extra highs, but this is something completely different. My other pedals don't have this difference (see my signature).

Als when I turn on my mxr dynacomp, the sound gets much darker again on the bsiabII. The mxr dyncaomp then acts as buffer.

It looks like the bsiab is very sensitive to impedance?

Can anyone explain? What solution is there?
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

tungngruv

Hi Hilbi, I am using my BSIAB2 for a lot of my playing and recording stuff right now, sitting right in the middle of a bunch of commercial effects (see: http://www.tungngruv.com/content/pedals.html ). I tried it by itself and then with different combinations of pedals, up to all of them at once and the sound of mine remained the same throughout. I have had some fuzz pedals that didn't get along with other pedals but I think that's sometimes natural for a fuzz. Did you build your BSIAB2 stock or were there some mods or part subs? Also, what kind of amp?

hilbi

I build the bsiabII stcok from torchy's vero layout. I use a fender deville amp, it is also doing this on my pod.

Maybe in paralel, the bsiabII did not respond very well on my vox wah as well, wich was solved by putting an output buffer in the wah.

I use single coil guitars
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

powerplayj

I bet iy is impedance.  My BSIABII doesn't play as well with my OD and boost and therefore, I like using the Thunderchief instead for a similar flavor of Marshall type distortion. 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

jrc4558

BSIABII has no input decoupling capacitor. Try adding one, it may help.

msb69

Quote from: tungngruv on August 11, 2006, 09:54:55 AM
Hi Hilbi, I am using my BSIAB2 for a lot of my playing and recording stuff right now, sitting right in the middle of a bunch of commercial effects (see: http://www.tungngruv.com/content/pedals.html ). I tried it by itself and then with different combinations of pedals, up to all of them at once and the sound of mine remained the same throughout. I have had some fuzz pedals that didn't get along with other pedals but I think that's sometimes natural for a fuzz. Did you build your BSIAB2 stock or were there some mods or part subs? Also, what kind of amp?

What do the toggle switches on your BSIAB do?

m