sleve, ring, and tip?

Started by Snuffy, August 14, 2006, 01:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuffy

I'm almost sure that the sleve is the top, the ring is the middle, and the tip is the bottom one (bottom being closest to the enclosure)
Is this right?

Snuffy

Talking about the jack where you plug your cable into
I'm horribly confused  :-[

John Lyons

Don't worry about it. Everyone starts out confused.
Starting with the Plug, which is stereo or 3 conductors:
Tip it the tip of the plug, this is also the Hot or +.
Ring is the Middle section.
Sleeve is the Long metal shaft closest to the Thick body of the plug, and always connected to ground.
The Jack corresponds to the same points. Tip is the outermost "finger" of the jack. The ring is the middle "finger" and ground is the hole that the pluge goes through.

Here's a pic from the smallbear site

Small

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Snuffy

Thanks a bunch
I'm lightheaded from all of the soldering

d95err

Quote from: Snuffy on August 14, 2006, 01:30:15 AM
I'm almost sure that the sleve is the top, the ring is the middle, and the tip is the bottom one (bottom being closest to the enclosure)
Is this right?

When in doubt, always use your multimeter!

GibsonGM

Plug in a guitar cable and look at the jack...tip is the very tip of the 1/4" plug, ring is the lower conductor below the plastic insulating washer - or "side" of the cable, and sleeve is the threaded part of the jack.  Actually seeing this, and using the DMM to verify which terminal goes to which 'arm' on the jack, really helps! Used to drive me nuts, he he. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...