News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Enclosures?

Started by modsquad, August 14, 2006, 12:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modsquad

Where do you guys get your enclosures from in the US?  I know you can put an effect circuit in just about anything, but I am looking for a decent source for the "standard" die cast aluminum boxes that is reasonable.  The Hammond boxes at Mouser seem quite expensive.  Small Bear has some but was curious to where everyone else gets theirs.

Thanks,

Stan
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

Primus

I buy wherever I can get them powder coated. Mouser has black powder coated hammonds. I will buy from Steve when he has powder coated boxes from Toadworks. There is also pedal parts plus, which has a variety of powder coated boxes. I bought a box from them one time that had a pretty good finish. A couple of small pocks, but mostly great.

Paul Marossy

Sometimes you can find Hammond 1590Bs and 1590BBs on ebay. A few years ago, I got something like ten 1590Bs for $40 or so.

powerplayj

I usually shop with "The Bear" but, www.effectsconnection.com has them as well
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

burnt fingers

Ive been using these.  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062217&cp=&origkw=project+box&kw=project+box&parentPage=search

They work pretty well and have lots of room for most projects but aren't too big for a pedal board.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

sfr

Quote from: burnt fingers on August 14, 2006, 03:11:45 PM
Ive been using these.  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062217&cp=&origkw=project+box&kw=project+box&parentPage=search

They work pretty well and have lots of room for most projects but aren't too big for a pedal board.

Scott

Yeah, I've been using those too, they're cheap and work well, and the extra height means that you can run a board almost the size of the whole box along the bottom and run jacks, switches and pots above. Extra height also means you can but one right up next to a volume pedal or a wah and still be able to hit the stomp switch. 

Lately I've been chopping them up to angle the fronts of those boxes or change the dimensions.
sent from my orbital space station.

petemoore

I chop 'em in half, top and bottom the same amount, to 1/2 height.
  I recently just whipped up a box for putting one of those w/phase 90 inside, using the cheep miter saw.  glue/sandpaper/varnish/paint. This looks pretty cool, and it turned out easy for me to concoct a way to connect it to the pedalboard, the circuit is enclosed with the shielded aluminum, the wood box doesn't need a bottom except the pedalboard.
  I prefer something heavier or that can be fastened.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

burnt fingers

I haven't chopped one yet but that's a good idea.  My local rat shack would have 2 instock so I'd buy them then it would be three months before they stocked them again.  Another rat shack a few miles away ran out too but he was cool enough to order 5 for me (pre-paid for of course) and had em shipped to my house.  No outragious shipping charges. That was ultra cool.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music