Resistor Values for Fuzz Face?

Started by WyattC, August 14, 2006, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyattC

Hey im in the process of making a fuzz face, and i got too matching germanium transistors that iguess come in at about 124. Im a real noob. so i know that my resistor values are off cause i just used the ones from ggg.com. I copied the rest of their circuit exactly. i lost the paper from small bear electronics. and i was wonderin if anyone could help me figure out what resistor values i should use and where. if anyone could give me approximations or anything, id be extremely thankful. if not i guess ill just order another set. Thanks in advance for the help

petemoore

Adjusting Q2's collector resistor using a trimpot instead of the fixed resistor allows biasing of the Fuzz Face circuit, or at least to a great degree.
  I think it's worth it to use a trimpot there just to set the bias by ear, but a voltage reading of ~ 1/2 the supply voltage from ground, at Q2CR is the target operational bias. that'd be 4.5vdc if the supply measures 9vdc.
  If your DMM has a Hfe checker, you can't use it to determine the leakage/gain, Small Bear already did that, but you can find which of the two is lowest according to the 'rough' DMM measurement and put the lower Hfe transistor in Q1 position...of course you could socket the transistor positions.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stephen

http://www.muzique.com/schem/fuzzface.gif

Here is your basic nominal values ...ususally very close to these if the trans are good!!!!