My second build...I'd like to add a toggle switch.

Started by Hiwatt25, August 15, 2006, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiwatt25

I had some good luck with my first active build Gus' PNP boost and am looking forward to my next project.  Before I choose something I've got a couple of questions. 

• I've noticed on several pedals posted here (808s in particular) that there is often a toggle switch in the circuit and I'm wondering what it switches?
  • Are there any circuits in the begginer range of schematics that include the use of a toggle switch to add cool functionality?
  • If so, what are they?
  • Or, could I add a toggle to my Smalley boost to make it do something else?

I hope that made sense.  Basically, I'm just excited and wanting to build new stuff with more buttons and switches as I go forward.  Besides, the little toggles I see on some of the pedals look so dang cool.  Man, I feel like a geek.

Seljer

There are lots of things you can do with toggle switches. Most of them revolve around using to switch that change/add one part or a small section of the circuit.

Examples:
-changing capacitors for different amounts of bass/treble or otherwise shifting the EQ around
-changing resistors in certain circuits for more boost
-changing type of clipping diodes used in certain distortion pedals (or removing them entirely from the circuit for a clean boost in some cases...or adding them to a boost to make a distortion pedal)
-plenty of other things

among the things I can think of right now in the NPN Boost is using the switch to switch the .1uF input capacitor with something smaller to turn it into more of a treble boost

Hiwatt25

Thanks for the info.  Would anyone care to show me how to add a cap to my smalley boost or tell me where to add it?  I'm guessing that it goes between two lugs of the pot but I don't know that for sure.  I guess this is considered a mod.  Is there a mod schematic for that and what value sould I use.

Thanks

Seljer

The capacitor I was talking about is the one of the left here, right on the input of the circuit: http://www.diystompboxes.com/beginner/schem.gif
that capacitor basically controls the amount of bass thats let into the circuit, bigger values = almost everything gets through, smaller values = only the high treble gets through.

you could use a switch to change it down to something smaller (about 4.7nF should work, thats what the Rangemaster used) and only treble gets the majority of the boost effect of the circuit:

looking at the layout thats described in the build tutorial:
you'd disconnect the wire that goes from the bypass switch to the circuit board, instead connect that to middle lug of the toggle switch (which is a SPDT switch). Solder the new capacitor right next to the old one on the circuit board, as its connected to it on one side . Then solder 2 wires onto the board, one where the input was before and another one on the other end of the new capacitor, then run them to the other 2 lugs on the toggle switch.

Making circuits on breadboard before building them in on a more permenant medium, then just swapping out components for something else and listening to the changes is a good way to figure out what mods you could do to something.

Hiwatt25