ETI "The Fuzztone" build report

Started by jmusser, August 16, 2006, 10:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I found this one awhile back on Casey's site  http://photobucket.com/albums/v324/caseyseffectpage/  that takes you to the main menu, then click on  "ETI Fuzz". I read that another guy "Col" had built this, and really liked it. This is a fairly simple 1 op amp circuit, but it sounds great. If you have have your tone knobs rolled off and you're on the neck pick up, it gives you a great thick fuzz. The "Sustain"  control really works, and gives you real nice sustain. It's not up there with the Whisker Biscuit, but It's better than probably 3/4 of the circuits I've built. The "Filter" control could basically be called a "Mud Inducer". It takes you from straight guitar tone, to something close to the Big Muff. I really like the tone you get on the bridge pick up, with the the tone controls rolled up. I have a fat strat, so it really sounds good on the humbuckers. This tone has decent crunch, but nothing to write home about, especially when comparing it to something like the Red Fuzz. Over all, this is a really good sounding circuit to be using only a single op amp. The tone also cleans up nicely when you need it, with the guitars volume control. My only mods were the use of a TL081 instead of a 61, and a 100K pot for volume. This is only because that's what I had. The volume would probably be better off with a 50K instead of a 10K as specified, or the 100K that I used.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Mark Hammer

You do know that the guy who contributed that design, Dan Coggins, is one of the folks associated with Lovetone, right?

Fret Wire

Ah, I was trying to remember who it was. He's posted here before on a past ETI Fuzz thread. He had no problem with anyone using it. I sent Casey that article and schematic, but don't remember where I got it. I sent him half of what's on his site, just stuff on my hardrive. I hate not being able to give anyone their proper credit.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

JHS

I built the fuzz a few years ago when I read the the ETI article. It's a very good sounding circuit, soundwise a blend of fuzz and overdrive w lots of mids. I replaced the IC w a 308N, the 061 was to muddy an undefined at higher levels and the 071 produce sharp highs at 9V. With 8V supply voltage the 071 sounded pleasing too, w better definition compared to the 308N on 9V.

JHS

Steve Newton

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 16, 2006, 11:38:43 AM
You do know that the guy who contributed that design, Dan Coggins, is one of the folks associated with Lovetone, right?

See - http://www.dinosaural.com/aboutus.asp
particularly - http://www.dinosaural.com/specials_fuzztone.asp
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

jmusser

No, I didn't know that. That would account for what was achieved with so few few components. That was a nice article that was posted, and I'm glad to know the story on this circuit.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

col

I used a TL071 in mine and it sounded fine with humbuckers. I have just picked a Guyatone Zoom distortion from a car boot sale that uses a 741 and a carlsbro suzz that uses the same chip so I might try a 741 (honestly!) and see how it sounds,

Col
Col