is this correct notes =freq.?

Started by donald stringer, August 18, 2006, 05:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

http://www.uk-piano.org/history/pitch.html  Do the same freq. apply to guitar? And at which frequenccy will the low E start on? 440 concert pitch, 1st harmonic.
troublerat

donald stringer

I found the values. I know they will change with sting gauge/ worn strings etc.   I just wanted the basics http://www.precisionstrobe.com/apps/guitarharm/guitarharm.html
troublerat

R.G.

There are two things you're mixing up. There is the nominal or target frequencies for strings, which are all based on A=440 hz. Then there is the actual frequency of your strings and their harmonics. The nominal frequencies are where you try to hit when tuning. The actual frequencies are how close  you actually get. The harmonics on your strings do, indeed depend on the string gauge, degree of stretch and crud in the windings, age, etc. However, this last is true to some degree of every musical instrument. Piano harmonics are subject to the same issues as guitar strings. That's what makes piano tuning a skilled profession.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

GibsonGM

I'd like to know what degree of accuracy is 'acceptable', like at what point or %  deviation from the ideal frequencies differences will be noticed.   Y'know, that deal where a guitar is perfectly tuned to a good tuner, intonation is tweaked in 'perfectly' but because of its construction there's often a discrepancy between the G and B strings when going from an E to D chord, so you have to adjust a little to a middle ground.   None of my 'non-techie' friends believe me about this and always stick with a tuner, but you can hear the results.   Sorry if this is a little OT!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

scaesic

i'm not entirely sure, but i think what you are experiencing is just a concequence of the equal tempered scale.

Basically it's impossible to get all intervals perfectly in tune, so the equal tempered scale is a compromise in tuning so that no one notices. Back in mozarts day they tuned instruments according to the scale a song was in. Each tuning system had a different feel, which is why there are musical purists who will only play "original vintage" type instruments. Apparently mozart would probably writhe around in his grave at how out of tune most of his stuff sound like played on modern instruments.

petemoore

Back in mozarts day they tuned instruments according to the scale a song was in
  Mozart had it goin' on...
  I try to batch G tuning songs, especially ones with sustaining notes and clean tones [where even slight tuning off-ness sounds real off], so that I can make the guitar extra sweet, more like the record.
  Then I revert back to standard chord tuning [like E's n A's]...
  It can make or break the effectiveness of a sustaining chord...smiles or grimaces... :icon_wink:
  You can get fairly close by just a 'standardized' tuning, but according to Gibson and anybody who knows, guitars simply do not tune, Perfectly.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.