Perfboard - Where to buy?

Started by zpyder, August 18, 2006, 02:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

Where do you guys buy your perfboard?  What hole spacing do you guys use?  I'm just compiling my first big fat bulk order with mouser and I figured, hey, I might as well get something to put all these components on!!   :D

thanks
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

burnt fingers

I usually just buy it at Rat Shack as I need it.  Aron also sells perf board in the store.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Connoisseur of Distortion

i'd strongly recommend getting perfboard with a hole every .1 inch. otherwise, you might have some trouble hooking up those ICs...!

zpyder

Thanks CoD! That's some money/time saving info right there

cheers
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

smallbearelec

The material that RS sells is paper-phenolic. It works, but the quality is not great. If I weren't so busy with other business I would spend more time here marketing the clones that I had done of their pad-per-hole boards :

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=PC+Boards+and+Prototyping

They are FR-4 epoxy glass with tinned pads--easy to work with and almost indestructible. Use the flea clips on the same page as tie-points.

I'm aware that many here like to use strip-board. One of the "get-it-made" projects on my list is an FR-4-based strip or Veroboard. I'll look at doing that for Winter.

You mentioned Mouser: I recommend them highly for bulk purchases of resistors, capacitors and common silicon transistors; I give them a fair amount of business myself. For much of the rest that you would want to build with, especially Alpha, Switchcraft and Carling, please compare the prices on my Stock List to the Mouser catalog. I am usually cheaper for those commodities, and I offer many useful specialty items that Mouser doesn't even carry. I don't mean to put them down; their service is excellent, and the prices for many items are good. However, they are a broad-line industrial distributor, and they can't, of necessity, focus on the stompbox market. I do, and I have been making a living for some years now by driving down the cost of building noise-toys.

Welcome to my Cave!

SD

Noplasticrobots

I wish more places carried stuff similair to Rat Shack's PC boards. I hate running leads on PPH board. If I can get a board that already has some traces run and will save me a little bit more solder at NON-Rat Shack prices I'd be a happy man.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

newbie builder

I've been happy with smallbearelec.com perf but then I tried vero.......I can't go back. Between Torchy and Dragonfly, there are enough vero layouts that almost all the effects I'm interested in have a vero layout. Vero is MUCH easier than  perf- only when I can't find a vero layout do I perf things.
//

phaeton

I was about to mention SmallBear, but Steve himself popped in ;)

SmallBear boards are THE BEST, and they're very affordable.

Hey Steve, speaking of cloning RS boards, any chance that you might have already put boards with bus lines on the 'to-do' list?

;)

Glad to hear that you're feasting instead of starving, but try to not let the work kill ya.

-Jared
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Eric H

Quote from: phaeton on August 23, 2006, 12:54:53 AM
I was about to mention SmallBear, but Steve himself popped in ;)

SmallBear boards are THE BEST, and they're very affordable.

Hey Steve, speaking of cloning RS boards, any chance that you might have already put boards with bus lines on the 'to-do' list?

;)

Glad to hear that you're feasting instead of starving, but try to not let the work kill ya.

-Jared
Along with Noplasticrobots, I'll third that motion. I love those Rat-Shack boards, but it would be nice to see them made from fr-4.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH