pt-80 problem, delay too grainy

Started by Bassmanfox, August 30, 2006, 09:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassmanfox

I just built the pt-80 and started having fun with it immediately.  I used the longer delay mod suggested in moosapotamus's site by adding the 47k to lug 3.  Unfortunately the pedal has the grainy sound whether or not the 47k is included.  So even with the stock delay time the delay notes come out grainy.   I've already double checked my setup, wiring and changed out all the ic's for new ones and I haven't had any luck.  One thing I can tell is that the pedal adds a very slight boost to the signal compared to bypass.  other than that I have no idea where to start.  Thanks ahead of time for any help you lend.

Ethan

in the 500ms - 1 sec range, the delays will have some grit. This is normal. It sounds kinda cool though.  If you feel you are getting too much grit, double  check the filter on the output of the pt2399, make sure you have correct resistors and caps and  check solder joints. If you mixed up the res and caps, you might end up w/ a high pass filter that which actually boost. Giid luck.

Bassmanfox

unfortunately there is definitely grittyness below 500ms, but thanks I'll start poking around

Bassmanfox

looks like the .47uf decided to break a leg off, but now she's fixed and beautiful.  Thanks again

finetuned

Quote from: Ethan on August 30, 2006, 10:54:20 PM
in the 500ms - 1 sec range, the delays will have some grit. This is normal. It sounds kinda cool though.  If you feel you are getting too much grit, double  check the filter on the output of the pt2399, make sure you have correct resistors and caps and  check solder joints. If you mixed up the res and caps, you might end up w/ a high pass filter that which actually boost. Giid luck.

I'm about to build two PT-80's as well, but what's the standard maximum delay time (without the 47k)? The specs of the PT2399 say the max delay time is 324 ms.

Sorry, newbie here wanting to learn  ::)

Thanks!