mezcal fuzz gain

Started by mrrain, September 05, 2006, 07:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrrain

i've done this fuzz and it sounds very good but I have one problem.
When the gain is on "0" there is a lot of distortion, and when you increase the gain the sound it's pretty similar, there is only one slight variation.
How can I have more range of gain? thanks

mrrain

maybe changing the gain pot?

Connoisseur of Distortion

Tip #1

If you leave a URL, more people will respond. ----> http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Dragonfly-FX-Schematics-%21/MEZCAL_FUZZ_SCHEMO

The method for gain control (series resistance) is somewhat hit-or-miss, in my experience. On the positive side, it won't leave you with no signal at one end of the pot's travel or affect treble content as would a pot connected to ground. However, it also introduces noise and leaves the actual signal attenuation a bit weak. Try increasing the series resistance by placing a resistor after the pot and before the capacitor. Start with about 47k and work up or down as necessary.

If this isn't doing it, try fiddling with the first emitter resistor (that 390 ohm one). By raising it, you will lower the gain of the pedal. Start with about 1k and work up or down gradually.

yes, you'll have to fiddle with it  ;)

Dragonfly

...try running a 10k resistor from lug 1 of the gain pot to ground....

:)

AC

Connoisseur of Distortion

also, please post some soundclips when you finish it. I've heard a very few reports, but they've all been quite flattering.

Andy - that solution is WAY too simple!  ;) if you don't mind me asking, why did you use this method of gain control in the first place? I'm just curious, as it drops your input impedance (or was that your intention?).

Dragonfly

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion on September 09, 2006, 08:23:19 AM
also, please post some soundclips when you finish it. I've heard a very few reports, but they've all been quite flattering.

Andy - that solution is WAY too simple!  ;) if you don't mind me asking, why did you use this method of gain control in the first place? I'm just curious, as it drops your input impedance (or was that your intention?).

it works sort of as a gain/texture control....its not "traditional", but really, the mescal isnt a
"traditional" type fuzz....most people like their fuzzes "fuzzy", so i figured the setup shown in the schemo would add some slight tonal variations within that "fuzziness".... :)

AC

mrrain

it works! Thanks Dragonfly!!!!!

I've recorded a few clips
squier stratocaster (sorry) -> mezcal -> notebook soundcard (sorry)

http://www.esnips.com/web/septiensOtherStuff

Dragonfly

Quote from: mrrain on September 09, 2006, 09:49:08 AM
it works! Thanks Dragonfly!!!!!

I've recorded a few clips
squier stratocaster (sorry) -> mezcal -> notebook soundcard (sorry)

http://www.esnips.com/web/septiensOtherStuff

those sound great ! quite representative of the mezcals "pseudo-octave" gnarly fuzz wit a bit of "clean" poking through...i especially like sample #2 !

thanks,
   AC