Any mods for a Behringer TO800?

Started by Lp_man, September 09, 2006, 07:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lp_man

I got a PM from a guy on the BKP forum asking if there was anything to make it sound less compressed, but I have no experience with these pedals, can anyone post links or information if there is any way to make it sound better?

Thanks

-Will

MartyMart

My guess is that this is a tube screamer type circuit !
So all those mods will probably apply, for less compressed OD, I would say that just
adding another 1N4148/914 in series with one diode in the FB loop would help, or
perhaps changing one of the stock diodes to either a 1N4001 or a 3mm red LED.

In my "TS" builds , I like the use of 1 x 1N4148 and 1 x 1N4001 a lot.
More diodes = less of a compressed and distorted sound.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Lp_man

Thats pretty much what I suggested as a guess !

Heres some pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tomr61/CIMG6215.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tomr61/CIMG6214.jpg

Which diodes are for clipping? I was thinking D3/D2 because they seem to have been made for easy modding access?

-Will

bancika

to be sure compare components near suspected diodes with components on TS808 schematic
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

aj_rocker

I like how behringer dont use surface mounted stuff. Their bypass is a little weird, and they go wrong. I would like to know if someone can tell me about the bypass system.

thanks

Aj

MartyMart

Quote from: aj_rocker on September 09, 2006, 08:18:39 AM
I like how behringer dont use surface mounted stuff. Their bypass is a little weird, and they go wrong. I would like to know if someone can tell me about the bypass system.
thanks
Aj

WHAT !!
Look at the second photo above , it's ALL surface mount :D
Quote from: Lp_man on September 09, 2006, 07:23:38 AM

Which diodes are for clipping? I was thinking D3/D2 because they seem to have been made for easy modding access?

-Will

Looks to me that D4/D5 are the FB clippers, next to the SMT opamp 4558  !!! :D

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

pyrotek

I agree with MartyMart D5 & D4 is obviously the clipping diodes connected to a 4558 opamp.
I think D2/D3 is not connected to an opamp but that is what I can see from your photo.

The bypass/switching system is most likely the same as with BOSS, IBANEZ, others... (the usual FET/Flip-Flop switching)

aj_rocker

sorry, just looked the first pic, didnt see that there was a second!
sorry
can any1 tell me more about the bypassing circuit?

Aj

blanik

they even wrote 4558 on the SM chip... mass produced mojo...  :icon_lol:

R.

Ken

G'day all

I could be wrong  my understanding is that the TO800 is an SD1 clone.

Cheers Ken.

Lp_man

Sort of...it is a clone of the Ibanes Tube screamer 808 (TS808 = TO808) and the SD-1 is a 'copy' of that too, but with some modifications to the parts that make it sound different. You can make the SD-1 circuit into the TS808 circuit completely ; http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/SD1/sd1.htm

Ken

G'day all

I need to get my eyes checked     :icon_rolleyes:

I thought the thread was about the TO100.

Sorry about that............carry on.

Cheers Ken.