My latest enclosure project... The STET-WAH

Started by Jehle, September 10, 2006, 01:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jehle

Hi guys, I've been gone from here for, what, going on at least a year if not more.  I'll probably be hanging around a bit more as I'm getting back into the effects and amp building again.  Got a ton of great ideas to experiment with and I'll post bits as they progress.

Anyway, what brings me back is this stunning enclosre for a Cry Baby Wah.  I won the guts of a busted wah from eBay for about $1 and had really just planned on fixing it and reselling it.  Well it was fixed quickly enough, but I never could get a good (and empty) Wah rocker pedal.

So, with a bit of paint and water slide decals, I managed to stuff everything into a "Sans Amp" sized Hammond project box.

The Schenker In A Box

It's a pretty tight fit in there, but I did manage to get it all packed in and working.  The stomp button is just a DPDT so it's a half-bypass that just selects the wah output versus the straight signal.  The other half of the switch turns the green LED on when the effect is on.

Anything else, oh, I put 4 clear rubber feet on the bottom of the enclosre to keep it from sliding around.

And that is that for now...

didier

can you actually play decently with this kind of wah-controll?
Complete: TS-808; LPB2; Orange Squeezer; Green Ringer; Foxx Tone Machine; LM3886 PowerAmp.
To Be Completed: DOD440; Professor Tweed; LHX; Real McTube 2; Rebote 2.5 Delay; ETI MN3011 Reverb;

Seljer

Quote from: didier on September 10, 2006, 03:33:15 PM

you can use a wahwah as a fixed filter, leaving the position of the thing alone. Dunlop even sell one like that (though it doesn't seem the be in their currenet lineup) http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12052

petemoore

Cool,,,Bill used to %^&* the wah, leave it on..but through a looper box, that way one switch hit and no wah adjustments were necessary.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Jehle

Quote from: didier on September 10, 2006, 03:33:15 PM

Well, yeah, Michael Schenker is known for it.  Joe Satriani is also known for his use of a static Q Wah.  Back in the old days (the 1980's) Schenker would set the knob in the "sweet spot" and remove the plastic vertical bit that would control the knob.  For his lead guitar sound, the CB Wah was basically it.  He would stomp on it and it would just turn it on, but not move the knob.

I've played around with it a little and I've found that it helps to switch from the neck to bridge pickup to keep the tone in the right spot as you move up and down the neck.

I plan on recording a sound clip with it soon to show what it sounds like.  I need to remember Captain Nemo before that.  :P

markm

Great Idea  :icon_idea:
Looks good and I'm looking forward to hearing a clip!