News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

The ClipBoard

Started by dano12, September 11, 2006, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

Ok, what the hell is it?

I've spent a lot of time over the last few months twisting diodes together, using alligator clips, breadboard--all in an effort to play around with different clipping configurations in various distortion and overdrive circuits.

This wack idea actually came to me in a dream :) Why not put it all on a piece of perfboard with a switch. Have the standard diodes pairs I like and add sockets to try others. Add a DIP switch to turn each pair on or off and a volume pot at the end. It is completely passive, no power required.

The in and out pads have sockets on them, so I can plug it directly into the pedal enclosure as shown, or just use the clipper board with various prototypes.

As it turns out that it is quite fun to put this after various clean boosts, and cook my own distortion with the DIP switches.

KerryF

You willing to post a schematic or layout or something?  ;D  It looks awsome!

dano12

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on September 11, 2006, 09:06:20 PM
You willing to post a schematic or layout or something?  ;D  It looks awsome!

Sure, I'll try to find time tomorrow to sketch it out. Pretty simple stuff.

KerryF

haha thanks  sounds good.  also, where can you get that little thing with all those slide pots on it to control the things?

MartyMart

Nice - "Thinking outside the box" again Dano  :D :D

The option to use either jacks or alligator clips would be cool, just so you can
clip this into an FB loop as well.

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

trevize

very cool dano! when you switch on more than one "clipping device" are them in parallel or in serie?

any

Say, mayebe a bit off topic... but what are the details on the Fuzzlab junior?
I saw the picture in the "pictures" thread but that's all I saw off it....
It's supposed to sound that way.

bancika

interesting work dano. I've been thinking about the same thing for a while. Also with DIP switch but on much smaller board so it can be inserted into any existing pedal instead of clipping diodes. I call mine FlexiClip ;)
How do you wire MOSFETS to clip?
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

trevize

dano12

Here's the general idea. I drew this up from memory this morning pre-coffee but I think it is accurate:

Nothing revolutionary but rather versatile. Thanks to Jack Orman for the MOSFET clipper design.

Bancika: FlexiClip, I like that. See the above diagram and Jacks' SB 5 for MOSFET ideas

Any: The fuzzLab Junior is still being wired up. The concept comes from Keith over at BYOC who put together a cool PDF that shows how to build his "Super Tricked Out Fuzz - No Circuit Board Required" project. Check it out at: http://board.buildyourownclone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1132

MartyMart: Outside the box, heh. Thanks.

KissMyAss: Dude, what's your real name? I have trouble conversing with that moniker. :) The switch is called a DIP switch. You can get them in a variety of switch counts and they fit in the same general size as a DIP IC. They consist of individual SPST switches. You can pick some up at Radio Shack or online at Mouser.com.

Thanks all, feel free to suggest any improvements.

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

bancika

I have different approach, with two 10 pole DIP switches - one for each side of waveform... Maybe you're approach is better, it takes less switches and only one input and output...
I'll think about it

KerryF

Thanks for the schematic/layout type thing.  Now, I want to order one of those switches, but dont quite know which to order.  From www.fairchildsemi.com which should I get?  I want to try to get it from there, because I may be able to get it as a free sample.  Thanks.

bancika

by the way, can I use other FETs? I have only BS170, MPF102 and J201

KerryF

^-he says you can use anything pretty much.  Just sample and try things.  The IRF520s are MOSfets.  You can use BS170s and 2N7000s which are also MOSfets.  You can use different clipping stages with different transistors and diodes and stuff.

bancika

by the way, can I use other FETs? I have only BS170, MPF102 and J201

KerryF

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on September 12, 2006, 11:55:36 AM
Now, I want to order one of those switches, but dont quite know which to order.  From www.fairchildsemi.com which should I get?  I want to try to get it from there, because I may be able to get it as a free sample.  Thanks.

Anyone?

bancika

do they sell mechanical switches at all? search for "DIP switch"

KerryF

^-they have all kinds of switches.  theres Analog Switches, Audio Switches, Bus Switches, USB Switches, Video Switches, and Load Switches.  Can you look on the site and send me a link of what I need.

KerryF

I think I am going to go to Radio Shack today and I think they have the switches so I may get one or two...

But dano12, it still seems strange that theres no buffers or low/high pass filters...  I guess its not really to be used alone, but with other pedals in before and after it...  Have you tested it?  Does it sound good?