Started by Tamir, September 14, 2006, 12:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamir

When battery not connected:

When Black lead on ground and
Red on input sleeve: Beep
Red on output sleeve: Beep
Red on circuit ground (same strip...): Beep
Red on small side of the battery snap: Nothin'.

Black lead on battery snap + and Red on the circuit input strip: Beep

Now to put the leads of the DMM on the battery? just battery? 'cause I already did it and the voltages of two different batteries are 9.24 / 9.77 .
any diagnose?
:)

gaussmarkov

Quote from: gaussmarkov on September 15, 2006, 05:16:03 PM
all you need to identify are the ring and tip connections.  these are pretty easy.  the ring is the metal that you see around the hole that the plug comes through and the lug for the ring is just a piece of that metal bent up.  your photo is hard to figure out but it looks to me like that is probably #2.

the tip is the band of metal that touches the tip of the plug when it is inserted.  that is the part sticking up on the outside on the right of your picture.  follow the metal down to body of the jack and see which layer it goes into and find the lug that comes out of the same layer.  that is your tip lug.

i just noticed that i made a mistake, i called the ring what i should have called the sleeve.  apologies. :icon_redface:

Tamir

petemoore

So what is the ring after all?
  ..Saldor's nighmare...
  the ring is between a sleeve and tip on a stereo 1/4'' phone jack
  also called a 'tip/ring/sleeve' type, three connector jack.
  "Ring" also is used for identifying the related connection on a stereo 1/4'' phono jack.
  We use the sleeve/ring connection which is made when a MONO sleeve insterted in a Stereo phono jack jumps the sleeve/ring connection with it's [longer than stereo sleeve] sleeve.
  We use that for the 'pull the input plug out to disconnect power trick', the ground must pass through the input stereo jack ring, through the plug sleeve/jack sleeve to complete the circuit [no mono plug sleeve/no PS circuit].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Tamir

oh, I am realy confused. sorry that you have to explain everything 1000 times... I don't know if it's because of my english or I am just stupid :'(

anyway, according to what you are saying, sleeve is 2, tip is 4, and ring is 1?
sorry for asking foolish questions but I realy don't understand. maybe should I wire everything differently?

Tamir

kind of good news (I think), I wired everything as I understood from pete and now when I connect the effect to amp I don't get that noise and everything is quite noiseless and silence, but the pot doesn't do nothing and I don't hear the guitar, just silence. I tried now to put the black lead of MM on ground and red on drain and I get 0.01.
what is going on now?  ;)

petemoore

DEBUGGING - What to do when it doesn't work
  Black lead on battery snap + and Red on the circuit input strip: Beep
  I don't understand 'circuit input strip'.

Tamir

I read that post and gave all information I can.
I mean the 4 strip according to this layout.

petemoore

If you're getting continuity between ground and "Input", your input is grounded and shouldn't be, no voltage swing is possible @ 0v = Gnd.
  You'll have to visually find the trace that is grounding the input down and eliminate it.

Dragonfly

well...i dont know if this helps, but that layout is verified....

let me ask this...did you make all the "trace cuts" necessary ?  in other words, in the layout, wherever you see a lttle red square with a dot in it, did you cut the copper trace ?

...it seems like your confusion about the "4 strip" (which has both the input and output on it" may stem from this....

AC

Tamir

Dragonfly

Quote from: Tamir on September 17, 2006, 12:19:44 PM
I did the cut traces  :-\

any chance youve damaged the mosfet...theyre very susceptable to static discharge ...also, is it oriented correctly ?

AC

Dragonfly

oh...and what aren't you understanding about that strip ?  maybe i can help...

AC

Tamir

The problem is I understand everything about my circuit, I think.
Everything seems to fit perfect but still there's a problem I can't find...
what can I do? remember that now I have silence with the effect and when I touch the string it's is completly silence. is it a diagnose?

petemoore

Clip black lead to cct. gnd.
  verify all circuit ground points.
  If you have any 'stray' ground nodes [beeping where ground isn't shown on the schematic], the stray ground connection[s must be eliminated.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Tamir on September 17, 2006, 12:33:06 PM
The problem is I understand everything about my circuit, I think.
Everything seems to fit perfect but still there's a problem I can't find...
what can I do? remember that now I have silence with the effect and when I touch the string it's is completly silence. is it a diagnose?

thats why i asked if youve verified that the mosfet is still good...youd be surprised how easy it is to "fry" one....

Tamir

Dragonfly

squidsquad

I haven't read all the posts....pardon if this was mentioned...but ya know...ya gotta have a cord plugged into yer input....to connect the battery...when you measure.  You probobly know that...but sometimes the obvious is overlooked.  No cord=no current anywhere.

Tamir

hmm, sorry, what cord? didn't know about it, I just soldered the wires.