Is this texture effect possible to DIY ?

Started by tonenob, September 15, 2006, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonenob

Hi,

I came across this pedal the MXR Grind and Clear ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive  on musiciansfriend.com, and it looked really wonderful to me. I intend to make a pedal with the similar shiny texture.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-Grind-and-Clear-ZW44-Wylde-Overdrive?sku=151029

My question is:

1) Is it possible to DIY ?
2) How do I go about doing it ?

I remember seeing this texture on AMERICAN CHOPPER. When they finish building the metal parts, handles, exhaust pipe, they send it to somebody and VIOLA ! Spanking shiny when its back.

Any help would be great !

Thanks.

Supa-T

Yep! Its possible.  Its takes a lot of sandpaper and a power sander (or a few weeks of free time :) ).  I wrote an article a while back describing the process. I think its in the Wiki now.

It looks like that MXR may have some swirl patterns which you could add using a wire brush and a hard mask.

Supa-T

Acutally that pedal is not very shiny.  You wouldn't have to sand as fine as the article in Wiki.  And I blew up the picture. You don't need a mask to acheive that texture, just take a wire brush on a dremmell to it.  Though, you can acheive some really cool effects with a mask if you brush in different directions and make some hard edges.

Bassmanfox

This texture is VERY simple if you have the right tool.  I discovered it by accident trying to find an easier way to strip off paint.  All you need is an air compressor and an air sander.  Choose a smaller sanding pad and just go wild on any hammond box.  Mine seemed really shiny, I dunno how the others did it.  I then added a nice rust preventive clear coat to give it a bit more of a shine.

343 Salty Beans

Quote from: Bassmanfox on September 15, 2006, 04:49:46 PM
This texture is VERY simple if you have the right tool.  I discovered it by accident trying to find an easier way to strip off paint.  All you need is an air compressor and an air sander.  Choose a smaller sanding pad and just go wild on any hammond box.  Mine seemed really shiny, I dunno how the others did it.  I then added a nice rust preventive clear coat to give it a bit more of a shine.

If you have the time and money, a much less practical alternative is to buy the metal premade that way (I know they have it) and make your own box.

air compressors rule  ;D

On a slightly off-topic note, is it just me or does Zakk Wylde have a signature everything? Next up, Zakk Wylde signature condom.

GibsonGM

Do you think it would come with a waycool blue LED, for better performance??
:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

tonenob

Quote from: Supa-T on September 15, 2006, 02:34:11 PM
Yep! Its possible.  Its takes a lot of sandpaper and a power sander (or a few weeks of free time :) ).  I wrote an article a while back describing the process. I think its in the Wiki now.

It looks like that MXR may have some swirl patterns which you could add using a wire brush and a hard mask.

hey, thanks for that information. I can't seem to find it on Wikipedia. Can you link me to it ? Thanks.

btw, whats a wire brush and hard mask ?

QSQCaito

Quote from: tonenob on September 19, 2006, 01:30:59 PM
Quote from: Supa-T on September 15, 2006, 02:34:11 PM

hey, thanks for that information. I can't seem to find it on Wikipedia. Can you link me to it ? Thanks.

btw, whats a wire brush and hard mask ?

its voila :P

did you try searching, on the wiki link up here on the top of page??

DAC
D.A.C