Melting glue.... just enough

Started by jlullo, September 15, 2006, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlullo

Hey guys.  I'm currently tearing apart a Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso.  I got this pedal like two years ago, and always hated the vinyl cover on it (it got filthy), and figured since i'm a newbie and waiting for my shipment of parts to build my TS-808, i would try my hand at etching this enclosure.  i've managed to basically desolder the few joints i needed, and found that the board is glued to the enclosure with a giant glob of hot glue.  how do you guys recommend removing this without damaging the chip?  I was thinking about heating up the enlosure with an iron.  Do you think that would work?  Any other ideas?

John Lyons

Depending on the glue blob size you may just be able to heat it up with your soldering iron by poking your iron into it and pulling it apart. Then clean your iron with a rag to get the goo off.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

jlullo

i just went for it with the iron.  it was too huge for just the soldering iron..... a combination of mom's iron and a little prying did the trick!

markm

Make sure you tape up the holes in the enclosure before any etching attempt.......
It will eat the inside too!  :icon_eek:

jlullo

will tape hold against the etchant?  or should i spray paint in the holes, and on the inside?

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Somicide

I'd like to think you could use nail-polish, or even a sharpie (and a lot of patience) but, I have not evidence that this would work.  well, the sharpie should as it works on PCBs fine.
Peace 'n Love

jlullo

i'll spray the inside, and make sure the inner part of the holes are covered.  i'll post a pic of it when i'm done so you can all laugh at my expense :) ha!

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

markm

You can use masking tape over the holes from the inside and it will be fine.

jlullo

343 Salty Beans

he's also the best etcher on this forum  8) take his advice to heart.

jlullo

343, I have definitely seen that.  His stuff is amazing!  While we're on the topic, take a little look at my newest entry- "My First Enclosure Etching Experience" to get a little taste of my night.