NEW CLIPPER PROBLEM!!!!

Started by user, September 25, 2006, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

user

I just built the New CLipper. ITs based on a TL071 chip. I think ive got the perfboard alrite but it hasnt worked yet...
1. I connected the sleeves of Input and OUtput jacks together. :icon_redface:
2. The input is from the Ring. :P
3. Ive grounded the negative terminal of the 9v battery...
I get absolutely no sound. Just a hiss and hum together when i touch the metal parts of the guitar. This is my second project and i had built a LM386 Little Gem for my first project which turned out to be very successful.. :'( Please HELP

3/4 North

I'm not sure about your ground.  Try using a 200k resistor in place of the 22k in the new clipper schematic.

GibsonGM

Hi, you should read the "What to do when it doesn't work" article...that will get you started :o)

Things like voltages at IC pins are very important for someone not in the room to try to help!  If you've "grounded" the - terminal of the batt, does that mean your opamp and everything else that needs to be grounded are all hooked to it? That wasn't clear...

Tip of input is the signal, right.  Tip of output is your signal out.  Are the sleeves, which you've hooked together, grounded?? They need to be, or you'll have zero output! 

I don't like to connect sleeves together, at least not until I box a project.  Having 1 discrete ground point on the board helps, and everything connects to that (where the - terminal of your battery is). Look up "star grounding" for that info.

The hiss/hum you report suggests something in this area (grounding needed at your input/output).

Hope this helps! :P

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

user

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 25, 2006, 11:36:17 AM
Hi, you should read the "What to do when it doesn't work" article...that will get you started :o)

Tip of input is the signal, right.  Tip of output is your signal out.  Are the sleeves, which you've hooked together, grounded?? They need to be, or you'll have zero output! 

I don't like to connect sleeves together, at least not until I box a project.  Having 1 discrete ground point on the board helps, and everything connects to that (where the - terminal of your battery is). Look up "star grounding" for that info.
First of all, Thank you very much for your help..
So wot i need to do is connect the sleeves together to the ground rite?? Yes im thinking of boxing my project, think ill use a plastic box for a while then ill get a metal encasing if this works...
And do i need to supply the input's sleeve with my battery's positive terminal too?? I did that for my Little Gem...
Can you point out the link to "What to do when it doesnt work" article.. i am a stupid newb..please sppoonfeed me

GibsonGM

Start simple, my friend, lol...run a wire from each jack sleeve to the ground point on the PCB....only 1 ground point, where the -9v is attached.  Don't worry about a box just yet, we have to get it running (plastic boxes require additional shielding!).

I guess I have to ask: do you already have this set up for a footswitch? When I make my effects, I don't have them set up that way yet.   Just in, out, ground, and power lines.  That way i know it works first. Then later problems are the switch wiring.  But if the PCB you used made you include the switch, that's ok.  You'd only ever run your 9v to the jack if you are switching the power with it.....or if you have a positive ground circuit! 

The What to do...thread is at the beginning of this forum, in the first few topics:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Go thru that....hopefully you have a meter? ;o)   Re-post with the info it asks for if you can, and we'll take it from Step 1.  I will go read the schem for The Clipper, since I'm not familiar with it (but can guess it's going to just like something else I've built...)

;)

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

user

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 25, 2006, 05:08:21 PM
Start simple, my friend, lol...run a wire from each jack sleeve to the ground point on the PCB....only 1 ground point, where the -9v is attached.  Don't worry about a box just yet, we have to get it running (plastic boxes require additional shielding!).

I guess I have to ask: do you already have this set up for a footswitch? When I make my effects, I don't have them set up that way yet.   Just in, out, ground, and power lines.  That way i know it works first. Then later problems are the switch wiring.  But if the PCB you used made you include the switch, that's ok.  You'd only ever run your 9v to the jack if you are switching the power with it.....or if you have a positive ground circuit! 
Okay, thanks...No i dont have a box yet....IM just testing to see if this works out. And I dont have a stomp swtich either, for the same reason. Okay, this is wot i did today: :P
1. Connected the two sleeves together to the ground point( but i still dont know where to connect the ground wire to. Is it the input's ring?? Like i had done im my LG amp??) Ive connected the ground to the input's ring, and theres still that hum/hiss. When i touch the guitar, i get a slightly louder hum, but the hiss remains the same.. ???
2. Disconnected the +9v from the input.