Ruby mod question.

Started by Hiwatt25, September 25, 2006, 08:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiwatt25

I'm just about done wiring up my ruby from Torchy's layout and I was wondering if it is possible to wire the + and - speaker outs to a stereo jack instead?  Is it that simple?

I figured I'd put it inside a regular enclosure and then that way, I could just plug it into whatever cabinet I wanted.  I hope that's possible.

Thanks in advance.

oldrocker

Yes just hook both tips (right and left side) of the stereo jack to the same connection off of the 220uF cap as the mono speaker jack is and ground the sleeve as usual.  This works good for headphones too.

Hiwatt25

Hiwatt25

Okay, wait.  One more question.  Is there a standard way of wiring a stereo jack?  I want to make sure that when I plug it into a speaker cabinet, it is wired the same way as the speaker.  Does the positive lead from the ruby connect to the tip or the ring of the output jack? 

Thanks again.

oldrocker

ildar

Is there a reason you want to use a stereo jack as a speaker out instead of using a mono jack? Just curious.

oldrocker

I used both in the Muffin Man I recently built.  I have a mono 1/4" jack for ext. speaker and a 1/8" stereo jack for headphones so I could use either one.  Click on the thread below.
If you just used a stereo 1/4" jack and plugged in a mono speaker it should work.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=49760.0

Hiwatt25

Quote from: ildar on September 26, 2006, 01:57:06 PM
Is there a reason you want to use a stereo jack as a speaker out instead of using a mono jack? Just curious.

I thought I needed one.  I figured I'd need a cable that had a positive and a negative lead since there is a positive and negative terminal on the speaker.  Wait a second, if the ground is negative, then can I just use a mono jack since the ground lug will be.....A HA!

ildar

I was wondering about that. A stereo jack is good for headphones, but a mono jack is all that's needed for a speaker out.
You will be surprised what that little bugger can do. With a medium-gain distortion in front of it, it will drive a 4x12 cab pretty nicely. I love my Ruby!