oscillating flip-flap-flop Ψ pedal?

Started by JimRayden, September 26, 2006, 11:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

I want a circuit to periodically switch between three inputs and feeding it into a single output.

What if I took a half of a flip-flop bypass circuit, make it a "flip-flap-flop" (that means, switching between three paths) so it would go 1->2->3->1->2->3 and control it with a 555 IC instead of the momentary switch.

And then.... make it switch between pickups. I bet that'd sound real interesting.

Just a thought.

---------
Jimbo

Gilles C

I did that kind of circuit when I was experimenting with PICs, and built a box to switch between 2 effects, 1,1->2, 2,2->1,1,1->,etc... with only a momentary footswitch.

It is indeed real fun to experiment with. I used 4053s for the analog switches.

Using 555s would also be easy to do.

Gilles

R.G.

The CD4017 and CD4022 are counters with internal decoding for one-of-ten and one-of-eight outputs respectively.

If you drive one of these chips with a variable timer like the CMOS 555, it will cycle through outputs starting at 0, 1, 2...max, 0, 1,2 ...

If you connect the output with a number just one bigger than you want to count to the reset pin, it will count for the number of counts you want and then wrap around.

So if you want a four-counter, you connect output 4 (that is, the fifth one if you start counting at 0) to the reset pin. They then count 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 1...

The outputs are fully decoded and positive going, so you get a positive enable signal for each "on".

This signal is suitable for driving either a CD4066 switch chip or a JFET series switch as in the Boss/Ibanez effects switching directly. The JFET is probably going to be more pop free. If you make the time constant of the gate switch signal big, the sound will fade from one to the other at the switch point, although doing this for long fades is tricky.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

JimRayden

Wow, chips for exactly my needs.

Now I'm wondering how to implement a ping-pong mode...
[Edit] Ahh never mind just got it.

---------
Jimbo

toneman

Can U say "sequencer"??????
good
now say it in PIC language, or (?)French(?)  we we
:-)
I've also heard this termed "radio buttons".....
U know, push one button in, the other pops out.. only one on at a time.
Still a kind of sequencer?, no??  we we
U have back-&-forth, like Knight Rider or The Cylons; same as ping-pong.
Then U have always going right;
or always going left;
Then there is random...that would be like the "radio buttons".
for me, a PIC is IT !!!
:-)

• SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

zpyder

You should call it "The Trident"...

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.