SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

VERO Question

Started by coxter, October 13, 2006, 09:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxter

Hi, i've been trying to build a Melanhead HeadCase, following this diagram

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/melanhead/HeadCase_layout

But i accidentally bought a double sided vero. So basically i just wanted to know if i can still solder everything on, by cutting the tracks on both sides of the copper. Wondering if it'll still work ok if i did that.

smnm

It would still work if you cut all the traces in the right places on both sides, but it could be confusing (or at least I would find it confusing)  :icon_redface:

MikeH

I would try sanding the tracks off the other side.  Otherwise you're bound to have something touch somethin, or com in contact with a jack or the case or whatnot here and there.  Idealy, you want the top side totally insulated
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

coxter

Quote from: MikeH on October 13, 2006, 11:25:23 AM
I would try sanding the tracks off the other side.  Otherwise you're bound to have something touch somethin, or com in contact with a jack or the case or whatnot here and there.  Idealy, you want the top side totally insulated

Man thats gona be a real bitch of a job to do. I think i'll just head down to the store and get another vero. Sigh...

petemoore

First Drill for the trace cuts on the 'bottom side', following the layout.
  Use a wire, stick it through the holes you cut, mark the holes on the top of the board, cut the traces there too.
  Install the resistors carefully, and be mindful that you could get a trace touching above board...not really any more likely than getting one on the bottom.
  {or} Use a piece of wide plastic tape, go across the top of the board with it to insulate...
  {or} Get another board.
  I find it a little surprizing that double sided vero is available, partly because I don't understand what the demand for it would be.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zjokka

Quote from: coxter on October 13, 2006, 01:39:39 PM
Quote from: MikeH on October 13, 2006, 11:25:23 AM
Man thats gona be a real bitch of a job to do. I think i'll just head down to the store and get another vero. Sigh...

Isn't that pcb dust quite toxic if you inhale it? Been freaking out lately when drilling pcbs, but don't know the real story. It's nasty dust for sure.

zj

MikeH

It's not that tough... if you have an electric sander.  And I don't know about it being toxic.  It can't be that toxic... I'm still here.  But I'd certainly avoid inhaling it.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

coxter

I never tot double sided ones existed too. LOL, thats why i didnt check when i picked it up from the shelf.
LOL, but its alright now, I got myself a new board. single sided one.

THanx everyone for the help