Joe Davission's Simple Sim.

Started by coxter, October 17, 2006, 03:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxter

[Noob alert]

Hi I've just built the "Simple Sim", and I just don't hear any sort of simulation from it.
Just a little soft clipping, and a slightly mellower and muddy guitar sound. In fact, the output volume is softer than when bypassed.

Well, to be honest, I've been trying to build a few pedals and none of them work at all. LOL.

This is the only one that worked so far becos its so simple to build, but I just don't know what the simple sim is suppose to simulate.
The drop in vol somehow also leads me to wonder if the the simple sim is designed for "recording" purposes rather than to be plugged into an amp.

anyone else who built the simple sim before has anything to share?

pyrop

Quote from: coxter on October 17, 2006, 03:38:56 AM

The drop in vol somehow also leads me to wonder if the the simple sim is designed for "recording" purposes rather than to be plugged into an amp.
Yes that is what it is designed for.
It is designed to have an output that is at line level so you can plug into pc soundcard line in for recording or into nearly any other audio amplifer other than an instrument amp.

By the way I just built one myself & it works great just like all of Joe's stuff

pyrop ;D

MartyMart

Try this :
Take your best OD/Distortion , do you have perhaps a Boss DS-1 or something ?
Plug into it and go "direct" from the output to a mixing desk or soundcard.

...... sounds like a wasp in a jam jar right ?

Now add the simple sim at the back.

....... sounds WAY better , like an amp ... no horrible fizz and shit ?

That's what the sim does , rolls off high end ( like a gtr speaker ) and the
level drop is for the reason stated above . :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

coxter

Oh... Thanx for the clarification! I plugged it into my Epi Valve junior instead, no wonder I'm getting a "less than expected" sound.

Thank you all very much, I finally got a pedal working LMAO,

gona build the NPN boost next! Thanx for all the help! really appreciate it.