Capacitors in series and parallel

Started by MikeH, October 17, 2006, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

I know that you can place resistors in series to make values you don't have on hand.  Ex 100k + 20k = 120k.  And resistors in parallel are equivalent to 1 divided by the inverse of the sum of the resistors.  Ex. 1 / (1/10+1/10+1/10) ; so 3 10k resistors in parallel will give a total value of about 3,333 or 3.33k.  Anyone who knows how to wire speakers has learned that.

But how do capacitors behave in these instances?  Can you place 2 0.5uf caps in series to make up 1uf?  Thinking back through the beer fog in my brain to my college electro-physics classes, something tells me they don't work that way.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

343 Salty Beans

capacitors work the opposite way of resistors. In parallel, they add up (like resistors in series). In series, they act like resistors in parallel.

zpyder

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on October 17, 2006, 12:50:50 PM
capacitors work the opposite way of resistors. In parallel, they add up (like resistors in series). In series, they act like resistors in parallel.
+1

Here are a couple decent references on that subject:

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3e.htm

and

http://library.thinkquest.org/16497/circuit/cs/index.html
On the second on, click the links at left to go to caps in series, caps in parallel, resistors in series, resistors in parallel...
pretty handy

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

petemoore

pretty handy
  Especially if where the cap position [where you want to reduce a caps value] also happens to go right to an easily accessed offboard wiring like pot/switch...or for installing switch, if there is advantage to having a SP which isn't dependant on the continuity of a switch.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MikeH

Those are great resources.  Thanks a bunch!
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH