Best Cheapest Fuzz available?

Started by solarplexus, October 19, 2006, 07:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Hi there,

I need a cheap, good sounding and reliable/moddable fuzz for a Hendrix cover.  Since I am not familiar with fuzzes, I was wondering if there is any cheap fuzz pedals on the market that would do the job for "Sexy Lady."  I could use my BSIAB II but I think the song deserves a real fuzz.

Thanks,

Matt
DIY Poser.

KerryF

Just build a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.  Look at Fuzz Central.  Its very simple circuit.  ;)

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

solarplexus

The problem is:  I suck at building pedals.  Nothing ever works.  The only thing I ever was able to build correctly was a BSIAB II and don't ask how I did it... I can't believe it worked right after the first try. lol!
DIY Poser.

brett

Hi
For DIY it's hard to beat the AxisFace Si.
Unless you want mega-simple circuit, in which case Joe's easy drive or the Bazz Fuss are very good.

But some pre-mades are cheap and ok.
Daphon brand come in metal cases and are more robust than cheapo Behringer pedals.  You might try a Daphon Distortion E20DS, and turn it way up.  Daphon also has a tubescreamer copy, model E10something, but that is probably too mild for what you want.

All in all, I'd try the easydrive.  It's only about 1/10th of a BSIABII.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

jonathan perez

Quote from: solarplexus on October 19, 2006, 07:55:38 PM
The problem is:  I suck at building pedals.  Nothing ever works.  The only thing I ever was able to build correctly was a BSIAB II and don't ask how I did it... I can't believe it worked right after the first try. lol!

keep trying! you learn as you go along!

plus, this circuit is SUPER simple!
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Harry

The Lofo Mofo was my first successful build, simple as hell, like less than 10 components. Stock the circuit sounds like trash, but if you remove the diode and change the input cap it sounds like a decent fuzz.

Meanderthal

One other point- for "Foxey Lady" you'll be wanting an Octavia rather than a Fuzz Face. Or possibly both, but the Octavia is definitely used for that particular song.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

solarplexus

Would the cheap octavia from danelectro do the job?
DIY Poser.

solarplexus

Anyhoo, I'll probably give the fuzz face a try... what is best?  the silicon version or the germanium version?  where can I get the germanium?
DIY Poser.

KerryF

For Hendrix and most stuff you will want the germanium.  Go to www.smallbearelec.com and he sells the Germanium transistor pack specifically tested for the fuzz Face.

Meanderthal

You mean the French Toast? That's a Foxx Tone Machine type thingy, but it'll sound something like an Octavia. A Chili Dog is more of a Boss OC-2 type down octave, and will sound ... well... not like an octavia anyway. Cool in a different way.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

tcobretti

Quote from: solarplexus on October 19, 2006, 08:28:38 PM
Anyhoo, I'll probably give the fuzz face a try... what is best?  the silicon version or the germanium version?  where can I get the germanium?

There is an art to building a Si FF and making it sound somewhat like a Ge FF, but the recipe is fairly simple.  The key factors:  use low gain transistors (the lower the better), and use a 47pf to 100pf cap across the collector and base of each transistor.  The low gain trannies mimic the low gain characteristics of a Ge transistor, and the caps mimic the treble loss in a Ge tranny (they also help control oscillation).

Ge FF's have their own sound, but the mods above will help you get pretty close, and they'll save you to cost of finding Ge transistors.  For me, my favorite FF's have been hybrid, with one Ge and one Si.

BTW, be sure you socket the transistors and the input and output caps so you can tune the pedal to your needs.  You can search for my Socket Face which is a strip board FF layout where any an every component can be easily socketed.

petemoore

FF's can sound great or weak depending on...everything including the amp used etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

darron

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 19, 2006, 08:31:41 PM
For Hendrix and most stuff you will want the germanium.  Go to www.smallbearelec.com and he sells the Germanium transistor pack specifically tested for the fuzz Face.

i don't think they are ac128's though.. i emailed him and he said they were equivalents.

the fuzz face is what you want, i think. foxy lady was the first thing i played on one to test it out, followed by space truckin'.

as for the ac128's (germanium) you'd need to make an exact replica, you'll have to call around your local electronics places. don't buy them off ebay etc since i've heard the stories about those always having the good ones sifted out and you'll get a leaky one. try looking at little electronics stores, not chain brands. they won't have them or even care about them!

if you cant find them, RS components has them as new productions. they are higher gain and higher quality. they sound good in mho but sort of not the same as the old tin cans.

smallbear does test his stuff and will even give you the right values of resistors you would use in your fuzz face to perfectly match his transistors! :D which is super duper
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

zjokka

If you really want to use it, it would be best to make a Silicon version, thus avoiding compatibility with other pedals when you go GE and thus most likely will use PNPs. PNP Fuzz faces are better off in the positive ground version like the original boxes. At least that's what the consensus seems to be here.

like stated above: look for brett's 'piggybacking' threads that will explain you how to get the typical Germanium gain with Silicon transistors. It just takes two similar SI's and a resistor to make them into the gain you want. on my blog there's a graph that with a 3k piggyback transistor in Q1 and a 5k in Q2 you will be approaching the 'ideal' Fuzz Face gain.

A BSIAB II without debugging CANNOT be just luck. don't be so modest dude. cheap and best just don't go together if you buy, only if you DIY...
;D
give it a go.

zj

darron

Quote from: zjokka on October 20, 2006, 04:50:09 AM
If you really want to use it, it would be best to make a Silicon version, thus avoiding compatibility with other pedals when you go GE and thus most likely will use PNPs. PNP Fuzz faces are better off in the positive ground version like the original boxes. At least that's what the consensus seems to be here.

i made both of mine germanium with normal negative ground.. the trick is to slap a 1000uf or higher capacitor across the power polls. without that you can get an effect which is called motorboating. id rather have normal grounding for compatibility and total shielding...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

zjokka

Oh true, you said that before. Another piece of info that doesn't find its way too the Fuzz Face FAQs, it's true. When I made my PNP negative Fuzz Face with GEs, I didn't have the motorboating, but a lot of RF interference. Then you need the input resistor and the small cap across the transistor emitters (if I remember right).

but like i said, I gave up germanium for piggybacking. you can made a fuzz face with real gain with any simple npn. just stick in the right resistor and you have the exact gain you want.

but really, the FBC (friggin' big cap) - trick is a good one, somebody even suggested it to me to clear out the hum in a Hammond transistor organ.

zj

Jay Doyle

Quote from: darron on October 20, 2006, 04:14:46 AM
Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on October 19, 2006, 08:31:41 PM

i don't think they are ac128's though..

In my opinion, the exact transistor number doesn't matter, it is the substance, germanium, that creates the tone. I think going through Small Bear will get you the result you want quicker then finding, sampling and testing a bunch of AC128s. Especially if he isn't confident in the build to begin with, getting untested transistors is a recipe for frustration.

solarplexus

Thanks guys...

I am wondering now if I want to use only a battery... should I go for the model at fuzz central or the battery will die quickly because of the led... or on the other hand, if I use the DC, coupled with my BOSS TU-2 daisy chain, will it cause RF or hum or else?  geez.... this is complicated lol!!
DIY Poser.