No wah in my wah

Started by Blenji, October 19, 2006, 08:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blenji

Hey.

Ive recently aquired an EH FuzzWah.  It has a small problem tho, it has no wah.

There is a faint wah when the fuzz is switched on with it, but alone there is none, just clean tone.

I guess its just a part needs replacing but im unsure as to what.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

jonathan perez

first suggestion:

measure and post values

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Blenji

Measure what in particular?

captntasty

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

R.G.

Read "Debugging; what to do when it doesn't work."
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Blenji

Paul Marossy

If it's an inductor based wah pedal, assuming all the wiring is solid, it's probably either the 4.7uF cap to ground or the inductor could be damaged. Both of those will make a wah pedal a non working wah pedal. The bad cap would make it sound kind of like a volume pedal and a bad inductor will make it so that the circuit doesn't do much at all.

jonathan perez

my vote is for the eletrolytic...

wanna make a bet?  :D ;)

Paul Marossy

Quotemy vote is for the eletrolytic...

Most likely. But I have recently acquired a wah pedal that had a whacked inductor, so it's not impossible. It happened to be an El-Rad inductor, which I believe was also used in the EH wah pedals...

jonathan perez

i took one apart the other month, and im trying to find the core...tearing that sucker apart was HARD. i figured it was hollow plastic. NO SIR. filled with this super rubbery type stuff, but the inductor was similar to those found in some old radios, with the lead wrapped around vertically, versus horizontally.

i had that problem too, but i was a broken jumper...i look forward to seeing what the problem is.

Blenji

Hey, Thanks again guys.

Ive gone over it with a Multimeter and theres a 10uf capacitor coming off the inductor to ground.  Between the inductor and cap its registering 0.61 then cap to ground is 0.

I guess this means i just need to replace the Cap?

Cheers.

Paul Marossy

Yeah, replace the cap. That's probably the problem right there.

Blenji

I dont know if this is asking too much but im interested in learning, but how would this cause my wah not to wah?

Thanks.

Paul Marossy

Quotehow would this cause my wah not to wah?

Basically, because the cap is internally shorted, it sends the signal straight to ground. As a result, when you use the pot, it acts more like a volume control.

Blenji

So if it was working properly, how would it give it the wah effect?  What properties does it have?

jonathan perez

Paul Marossy

If you follow the link above, it will tell you everything that you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask about wah pedals.  :icon_wink:

Blenji

Thanks for the link.

Ive tried 2 different capacitors and theres still no signal.  Theres signal going in to it (the capacitors) but not out.

Any ideas?

jonathan perez

what capacitors (value) did you use?

Paul Marossy

OK, then, check the voltages on the transistor pins. One of the transistors might be a dud.