FF PNP -> wah, or wah -> PNP FF ??

Started by solarplexus, October 22, 2006, 06:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Ok as some of you might've noticed from a previous post, I am in the process of building a  PNP FF (still waiting for the parts).  I want to know where I should put it... BEFORE or AFTER my crybaby wah which I just modded true bypass and changed the cap to match the Jimi Hendrix model.  I want to know if it's going to affect anything from impedance load or else from different placements.  I was originaly planing to put it right after my guitar to my TU-2, to my Bf-2, and then to my wah - to amp. ?? ? ? ?? I'm so confused now...

I also want to know if I can daisychain it with my BOSS TU-2.  This was discussed in an earlier thread but am still confused if I can or not...

any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt
DIY Poser.

mac

IMO the order should be wah->FF->amp, but low input impedance of the FF will suck the signal from the wah. Some mod the wah with an output buffer, some add an input pot to the FF to increase input impedance. Some make it work the FF-> wah-> amp chain. See wah & FF mods at fuzzcentral.tripod.com
About the power supply, if you plan to use positive ground build a slave supply for the FF. You can try making the FF negative ground but unpredictable things may happen like motorboating. If you're lucky building a negative gnd version you can use whatever supply you actually have.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

solarplexus

Thanks mac,

however I still don't get the FF sucking tone from the wah.  There is an input buffer in the wah (GCB-95 modded true bypass), is there an output buffer as well?
DIY Poser.

solarplexus

Also... if motorboating is an issue, I will use only batteries to feed the FF, will a wah before or after it will cause any problems with impedance? 
DIY Poser.

mac

Honestly I don't know. Maybe the input buffer avoids tone sucking. You can open the unit and see if there is an output buffer, it is easy to recognize: collector or drain to Vcc, signal taken from emitter or source.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

sfr

Are the Boss TU-2 pedal tuners buffered like the rest of their pedals?  I have an unbuffered wah, and a FF, and when I'm doing one into the other, I often stick a Metal Zone in between, just because the buffered Boss pedals seems to keep the other two pedals playing nicer.  Although people look at you funny with that thing stuck in an otherwise "classic" signal chain.
sent from my orbital space station.

petemoore

Are the Boss TU-2 pedal tuners buffered like the rest of their pedals?
  If they have input and output jacks I would say yes...
  I have an unbuffered wah, and a FF, and when I'm doing one into the other, I often stick a Metal Zone in between, just because the buffered Boss pedals seems to keep the other two pedals playing nicer.  Although people look at you funny with that thing stuck in an otherwise "classic" signal chain. 
  Sounds like inserting buffer between the Wah And FF is it then.
  Simple buffer did the trick on my wah>FF sound, it was included inside the wah circuits bypass switch.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ge_Whiz

Most people would probably follow Jimi's example and go guitar - wah - fuzz - amp. So I'd do the opposite.  :icon_evil:

solarplexus

Yeah... but I'm not trying to mimic Hendrix, I'm just trying to place the effect in the right place.  I prefer the wah after any distortion so I might do the same thing with the fuzz:  guitar -> fuzz ->wah
DIY Poser.

Ge_Whiz

Quote from: solarplexus on October 22, 2006, 06:43:05 PM
...I am in the process of building a  PNP FF (still waiting for the parts).  I want to know where I should put it... BEFORE or AFTER my crybaby wah which I just modded true bypass and changed the cap to match the Jimi Hendrix model.

Sorry, dunno where I got the idea that you were trying to mimic Hendrix...  :icon_wink:

I just commented that most people would read about Hendrix doing it one way and copy him, without spending a little effort to try the different possibilities, listen to the results and decide what they liked. [HINT]  :icon_exclaim:

solarplexus

don't worry Ge Whiz.... I wasn't thinking that you were assuming that from me :icon_biggrin:
DIY Poser.