Uglyface Debugging

Started by ildar, October 27, 2006, 12:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

Recently finished an Uglyface, and debugging this one poses unique problems, because it already sounds broken!  :)
Is it supposed to squeal on its own at certain settings? I can set it to get sounds similar to the soundclips, but at other settings it's absolutely uncontrollable. Is that normal?

slacker

Yeah if you turn the threshold pot past a certain point it self oscillates, it's completely normal  :icon_mrgreen:

reverberation66

yeah, this one can be a bit unruly.  Depending on the settings, it will self-oscillate and you can change the pitch with the frequency pot.  If you're getting unwanted oscillations it could be just a simple matter of an output cap or some such.  Use the search function and there should be lots of information about the UF on there. 

ildar

I omitted the small caps to ground at input and output. Might put those in. The self-oscillation is very cool, but for my purposes, unnecessary.
Great effect when all is said and one.

oldrocker

If you set it to self oscillate and you set that one knob so your guitar signal lights the LED/LDR you can mute your strings and pluck so your strings don't ring out.  The plucked muted strings will reset the oscillator so you get great laser gun sound effects.  Not very musical but very cool.

ildar

Quote from: oldrocker on October 27, 2006, 02:06:59 PM
If you set it to self oscillate and you set that one knob so your guitar signal lights the LED/LDR you can mute your strings and pluck so your strings don't ring out.  The plucked muted strings will reset the oscillator so you get great laser gun sound effects.  Not very musical but very cool.

Yep, I discovered that one! I also got a sweet Morse Code sound-straight out of a 40's era movie.
I love how interactive this is with the guitar's control knobs, too.

$uperpuma

Uglyface + Long Delays = Hours of fun....
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.