Solding IC Socket

Started by rasco22862, October 28, 2006, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasco22862

I build the circuit boards following this diagram:

Then i turn the board and sold the components, but if do this the IC Socket is backwards and the connections are others. Should i sold the ic socket in the other side of the Board?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think the picture shows the printed circuit traces as though you are looking through the board. That is, the components and wire are on top of the board, the blue copper traces are on the other side of the board.
It's what you would see if the board were transparent.

Pushtone

To make the traces easy to see while placing components I use a second desk lamp
to shine light on a white piece of paper. The paper located several inches
behind the PCB in the vice. This reflects enough light through the PCB to see the traces clearly
without blinding you.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Gilles C

Another option is to use a Light Box.

You can buy or build one like this http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/tracingbox.shtml

It's also useful when you work on layouts.

Btw, don't forget that when you work with ICs, you go counter-clockwise to count the pins of the IC when you look at it from above (components side). And you go clockwise on the traces side.

Also, the wiring diagrams that include all the pots and jacks always normally shows the component side of the pcb.

Gilles

MarcoMike

Hi Rasco,
This is a kind of "just woke up idea", might be wrong... but: try to flip the IC's pins to the other side (i__i to !¯¯! ) and this way you get a mirror-pinned IC, to match your mirror-board.
does it work?

good luck!
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Rafa

Hi:
did you solder on the same side of the copper??
That photo is as your looking the components and the board is transparent, the components and the copper are on different sides.
Cheers
Rafa

captntasty

Quotetry to flip the IC's pins to the other side

Very doable - I've goofed on a couple boards and exposed them in reverse (wrong side of the transparency up).  No problem on transistor based circuits but with an opamp this idea was the solution - bend all 8 (or however many) leads in the opposite direction and voila!  Have to be very careful not to bust them off - they're easily broken.  Can be risky if you've only got one opamp to work with.
If so, another board might be a good idea.  If you have multiple chips, bending them into a mirror configuration is the way to go.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

rasco22862

I flip the IC, and worked, but i´m having problems with the pots. First it didn´t sound well, but i touch the volume pot, and sounds great, but with a beeeeeeepp, in the background. How can i fix this?