Installing a TL072 opamp in my Ibanez TS9 reissue?

Started by Burstbucker, November 06, 2006, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

A while back I removed the original opamp in my Ibanez TS9 reissue and put a socket in its place.  I then plugged in a JRC4558DX opamp that I had on an old PCB that I had stripped out of an old VCR.

I've just recently had the good fortune to buy a used Maxon OD-808 pedal that has a 4558D opamp in it and it sounds better then my modded Ibanez TS9.  So, this basically makes my TS9 kinda useless right now.  Then somebody told me that putting a TL072 opamp in there instead of the 4558D would make the TS9 a better sounding pedal, would you agree with this?

And if I do go ahead and plug a TL072 opamp into this socket, would it plug in exactly like the 4558D?  Just a simple swap with the same pinout? 

Jay Doyle

SOme might agree, others will disagree, and overall it is a small difference, to me it is more in the feel of it than the sound.

ANd yes, it will be a drop in replacement as long as you keep the 'dot' or 'U' shaped indentation on the same side as the original.

Swapping out the diodes will do more to change the tone, though.

Melanhead

yup, I've tried a bunch of dual opamps in there myself ... My Favorite is the RC4558p ... Just seems a bit smoother ... but it's not a night and day change ... and like Jay says, a diode change is more audible.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Melanhead on November 06, 2006, 03:21:35 PM
yup, I've tried a bunch of dual opamps in there myself ... My Favorite is the RC4558p ... Just seems a bit smoother ... but it's not a night and day change ... and like Jay says, a diode change is more audible.

my observations exactly....the RC4558P is a nice opamp...at least for this circuit.

Burstbucker

Hey, thanks for that info guys!

I'll try to track down one of these RC4558P opamps.  As far as diodes go, any suggestions on what might be a cool thing to do with this TS9 pedal?

Jay Doyle

Quote from: Burstbucker on November 06, 2006, 03:43:44 PM
Hey, thanks for that info guys!

I'll try to track down one of these RC4558P opamps.  As far as diodes go, any suggestions on what might be a cool thing to do with this TS9 pedal?
I'd do a search on this site and you will find more than you need to for info. Try "Tubescreamer diodes".

Also be sure to read "The Technology of the Tube Screamer" at geofex. There is a TON that can be done to this circuit to make it your own...

Burstbucker

Hey Melanhead,

I haven't talked to you in a while, hope you're doin' fine.  BTW, do you think that Jentronics in Dartmouth would have one of those RC4558P opamps, probably they'd just cross-reference it with something else?

Melanhead

Quote from: Burstbucker on November 06, 2006, 05:53:51 PM
Hey Melanhead,

I haven't talked to you in a while, hope you're doin' fine.  BTW, do you think that Jentronics in Dartmouth would have one of those RC4558P opamps, probably they'd just cross-reference it with something else?

Hey man! ... I'm very busy building and modding FX! ... Everyone in Halifax should have a Melanhead pedal of some sort soon  :icon_mrgreen:

More than likely they'd cross reference ... I have a bunch if you want one. PM me if you want me to mail you one .. N/C ;)

You can get 'em at SmallBear if you want a bunch ...

Melanhead

Diode combo of choice for me is:

1N4001 for one side and 1N4001/1N34 in series for the other side...

Burstbucker

Melanhead,

Glad to hear that you're still busy building stuff.  I'm actually working out a trade for something with a guy in New Glasgow and he has a couple of your pedals on his board and he told me that they're his favourite pedals, way to go Bob!
8^)

BTW, I built myself a pretty close copy of your "Full Beard" Silicon Fuzz and it turned out great, very nice sounding Fuzz. 

Thanks for the diode info too.

Hey, I'm not going to bother you for an opamp but thanks for the offer, much appreciated though.

Take care and keep crankin' out those pedals dude!

Regards,
Charlie

Melanhead

Quote from: Burstbucker on November 07, 2006, 09:06:30 PM
Melanhead,

Glad to hear that you're still busy building stuff.  I'm actually working out a trade for something with a guy in New Glasgow and he has a couple of your pedals on his board and he told me that they're his favourite pedals, way to go Bob!
8^)

BTW, I built myself a pretty close copy of your "Full Beard" Silicon Fuzz and it turned out great, very nice sounding Fuzz. 

Thanks for the diode info too.

Hey, I'm not going to bother you for an opamp but thanks for the offer, much appreciated though.

Take care and keep crankin' out those pedals dude!

Regards,
Charlie

Cool Man ...!

Yup, Melanheads are getting out there :) ... there's actually two guys in New Glascow using the M.O.D. and Fatso pedals. They heard a friend of mine using Melanheads in a bar and had to have 'em!  :icon_mrgreen:

It's one of those things ...  If your're one of the few in the area that does this type off work then the word spreads quickly! ... I can put a few on consignement at Musicstop but as soon as I have anything ready someone buys it!  :icon_mrgreen:

the supply can't keep up with the demand! ... Not that I'm selling tons, I only have time to build a few a month ... I'm just happy that I can get players the tone they want.

Glad you built the Fullbeard, it's a nice sounding fuzz.

Later!