Ive found my DIY sound!

Started by guitarmonky55, November 07, 2006, 11:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarmonky55

So after many DIY builds and alot of good but not what i was looking for sounds, i found my keeper in an unlikely place.  I threw together a sili-face II from ROG the other night.  After bashing my head against it for several hours, and then realizing i had flipped the negative and positive leads from the DC socket, i fired it up to great delight.  I used 2n5088's and a few other odd part subs because i didnt have the exact values.  Its not so much of a fuzz as a dirty boost, but a good one it is.  im not terribly intrigued by its sound on a clean channel, but in front of the distortion channel of my Carvin MTS I get the most perfect, smooth steve vai-ish tone that is clean and distorted at the same time.  its positively beautiful! of all of my builds, this one definitely will stay on my pedalboard!

Dragonfly

Quote from: guitarmonky55 on November 07, 2006, 11:47:06 PM
So after many DIY builds and alot of good but not what i was looking for sounds, i found my keeper in an unlikely place.  I threw together a sili-face II from ROG the other night.  After bashing my head against it for several hours, and then realizing i had flipped the negative and positive leads from the DC socket, i fired it up to great delight.  I used 2n5088's and a few other odd part subs because i didnt have the exact values.  Its not so much of a fuzz as a dirty boost, but a good one it is.  im not terribly intrigued by its sound on a clean channel, but in front of the distortion channel of my Carvin MTS I get the most perfect, smooth steve vai-ish tone that is clean and distorted at the same time.  its positively beautiful! of all of my builds, this one definitely will stay on my pedalboard!

:icon_mrgreen:

gotta love it when things work out !

tcobretti

Magic happens when the different components of your rig work together.  I also recently built a Si FF that I freaking love.  It's funny, cause I'd been playing with it for a couple of months, but I just stumbled on a combination that is great.  However, mine is not an overdrive; it is fuzz-o-rama.

MartyMart

I just got a similar result from Mac's "Faim Fuzz" , the sample in the post was recorded through a
behringer DI with cab sim, but through my amp, it was driving the front a lot more and sounds
incredible !
Just a "lucky" match :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com