News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Achieving Graney

Started by aloupos, November 08, 2006, 12:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aloupos

I'm not really sure if I'm being vague with this discription, "Graney", I hope not.  It seems to be a characteristic of some Mesa Boogie amp settings, and in fact i hear it in the Dr. Boogie circuit. 

Anyway, I'd like to reproduce this sound, and be able to add more/less of it (because I actually like it :)) , which I assume is caused by certain frequency cuts/boosts.  Does anyone have any insight into this?  Where would a good starting point be? 

Really appreciate any advise, or maybe some help trying to better describe the sound I'm after if it's not clear. 

Anthony

GibsonGM

Wow, that's really not a lot to go on, aloupos, LOL...but I'll try to help  ;)
Sounds like you are interested in something related to certain frequencies, and maybe some sort of distortion going on in that freq. area?  Maybe you could try playing thru a distortion pedal you think is a bit "graney", and trying a multi-band EQ before, after or even both.  If you can identify what freq. you think holds the key to "graneyness", you can then work on something to make it more prominent.  An example of a known song that has graneyness would help to narrow things down, too.

For example, if you find that something sounds totally graney if you cut -6dB from 800 to 900 Hz, you can design a filter to go with a dist. ckt to emphasize that.   You may end up doing this on the input AND output, who knows?  But there's a suggestion of a place to start, hope it is a little helpful  8)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Rick Hardslab

Sans Amp GT-2 http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=22

P.S. You don't HAVE to have the 2262s