News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tubes in anything?

Started by cakeworks, November 08, 2006, 02:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

So I've seen tubes in overdrive pedals and distortions even when they werent in the original design, and i dont know a whole lot about transistors or tubes but i know they do a similar thing... so the question is: is there a set procedure from converting a pedal from transistor power to tube? Could you for instance, put tubes in the place of some transistors in say... a tremolo?

Just thinking about its a gimmick, I doubt they would do anything significant most of the time but it'd be so cool at shows to say "gimme a minute to let my effects warm up" ;D

thanks to anyone who can shed some light
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

RaceDriver205

An expensive and time consuming gimmick perhaps?
I believe 'puretube' does a lot of all tube effect, perhaps PM him

puretube

most audio-gadgets had been tubed in first instance, and only later were replaced by transistors.

Re-replacing the tubes into those gimmicks is so expensive & time-consuming, that it hardly leaves time for individually answering PMs concerning this matter...

BTW: the tubes do do everything significant all of the time...

rockgardenlove

I laid off the SS for a bit and was working on some amps...been building tube trems, tube reverbs, tube OD's, everything...In my opinion, overall, it's not worth the hassle.  One thing though I really do like though.  The Fender '60s standalone reverb sounds GREAT in the first position.  It just works really nicely with the pickup of the guitar. 

I'm going to build a small tube boost type thing just to couple my guitar to my FX chain...I guess it's something about how it loads the guitar pickup, but it rawks.   ;)

MartyMart

Ton , any chance of taking a peek at your " Tube Distortion" schem .... ??  :icon_wink:
I have the perfect enclosure from aron .... it's naked !

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

MartyMart

Quote from: rockgardenlove on November 08, 2006, 04:51:24 AM
I laid off the SS for a bit and was working on some amps...been building tube trems, tube reverbs, tube OD's, everything...In my opinion, overall, it's not worth the hassle.  One thing though I really do like though.  The Fender '60s standalone reverb sounds GREAT in the first position.  It just works really nicely with the pickup of the guitar. 

I'm going to build a small tube boost type thing just to couple my guitar to my FX chain...I guess it's something about how it loads the guitar pickup, but it rawks.   ;)

I recently built a 5 watt all tube head and heavily modified a pair of Epiphone valve juniors :D
Not convinced about the low voltage stuff, but those babies are sounding V-cool :D
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

puretube

Quote from: MartyMart on November 08, 2006, 04:54:42 AM
Ton , any chance of taking a peek at your " Tube Distortion" schem .... ??  :icon_wink:
I have the perfect enclosure from aron .... it's naked !
Marty.

it`s 100% the E-H "Hot Tubes" circuit...  :icon_wink:

cakeworks

gee that tube trem looks sweet!
-Jack

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

puretube

MartyMart

Thanks Ton , no problem ... I found it here : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/latronax/hidden%20pix/schems1297.jpg

:icon_wink:

cmos circuit !!  Bah nothing to do with a Valve ( English word for Tube ) !

MM.

brad

I'd like to see more folks experimenting with tube filters, modulators, etc.  The 12AL5 tube diode I posted about a while back would make an interesting ring mod or peak limiter too.

If you look past the old ball and chain of the 12AX7 and "tube overdrive", there's a whole new world of tube possibilities waiting to be discovered (or...rediscovered :D)
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

cakeworks

the wahmollo... but they all look so fun!
-Jack