Wah Transistors+Inductor+Grease

Started by rockgardenlove, November 10, 2006, 11:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

What are some good low gain transistors that I can stick in a Vox Clyde to get the most vintage tone possible?
Preferably available at Small Bear.  Any recommendations?

And has anybody tried Small Bear's Eleca Halo inductor?

What's the right sort of grease to use for the rack and pinion in the wah?

Thanks!

RedHouse

While not a VOX Clyde, but I've been able to test 3 sets of transistors from old 70's Thomas Crybaby's (part# 5117) they were in the hfe range from 270-450.

I've just been using some Central Semiconductor 2N5088's I got from Mouser which are in the 350-400 hfe range.

I'm of the opinion that anything is better than the MPS-A18, every MSP-A18 I've tested in the past few years has been in the range of 700-900 hfe, the Fairchild data sheet indicates the min/max hfe to be 500-1500 for MPS-A18

Some folks have reported getting great vintage vibe from BC108 and BC109 transistors, I'll have to try those when I can get some.

tcobretti

Yeah, from everything I've read, the MPSA18s are too high hfe for wah use.  I think any 300-500 hfe transistor would work fine.  Here's Phillip from Fuzzcentral's page on wah building.

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axiswah.php

Paul Marossy

I have some metal can BC109s from the 80s that sound real nice in a pedal.

rockgardenlove

Thanks.  I did try somee 2n5089s in my Crybaby and it was alot better.

Any info on that grease?

9 volts

I'm using the eleca halo inductors from small bear and to my ear they sound better than the standard dunlop inductor (maybe an added dimension?). You have to drill a couple more holes but it's worth it. The world of inductors is subjective though......

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't use a wah myself, but I'd look at lithium grease.

RedHouse

Yes, got to the auto parts store and ask for "white lithium grease".

rockgardenlove

Thanks for the info guys.  Very helpful.
I'll try and get some of that grease.  Any more info on the Eleca Halos?

9 volts

I wrote to Steve at smallbear before buying the eleca inductors. My advice is to write to him and ask his opinion.

jonathan perez

ive got one.

very dry sounding, in comparison to a vintage styled halo.

it measures OKAY, at 600 MH and 32-34 ohms.

to be honest, for the price, it almost cant be beat. it sounds unique, no doubt. SOMEWHAT close to a vintage tone, but off by about a mile. versus some of those banzai halos, which can be light years off.

again, very dry sounding, but not bad by any means.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...