Searching for caps

Started by Bernardduur, November 13, 2006, 05:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

He all!

I am looking for some replacement caps for a LP Triumph bass; it needs a NP 4.7 uF cap that is dropshaped and has the colors yellow, purple, pink and grey (if I am correct)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Seljer

for capacitor color codes: http://www.pmel.org/HandBook/HBpage26.htm

though I'm pretty sure you could just use any 4.7uF nonpolarized cap, no idea about finesses in tone but it should work...

Barcode80

you can use two 2.2 uF electros in parallel with the opposite poles attached (+ to - and vice versa). this will make a non polarized cap of 4.4uF, which will be a very suitable replacement.

Ardric

Are you sure that isn't supposed to be 47nF?  That would be a common tone control cap on a passive bass.  If that's what you need, I'd suggest a film cap.

R.G.

Quoteyou can use two 2.2 uF electros in parallel with the opposite poles attached (+ to - and vice versa). this will make a non polarized cap of 4.4uF, which will be a very suitable replacement.
Actually, that won't work. Two 2.2's hooked up like that makes a composite cap that is reversed-polarized both ways. And AC signal would damage both of them

The way to make a 4.7uF NP cap from polarized caps is to use two 4.7uF polarized caps and hook them in series + to +. A polarized aluminum cap conducts when reverse polarized, so the two caps are not really in series - one cap conducts, the other is a cap on alternate half cycles. The series connection does not make this special case into a 2.35uF cap.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Barcode80

once again i am humbled. i don't know where my mind was! yes, r.g. is absolutely right. i also agree that a smaller cap might actually be what you are looking for.

Bernardduur

Yes, I also thought the value to be quite big...... but when I checked the schematics (given by Gibson) they stated it was a NP 4.7 uF cap; I also checked the version in an old one and it was the same.........

So 4.7 uF it is; I will try the two 4.7!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If someone actually specifies "non-polarised" it *usually* means electrolytic, because otherwise they wouldn't have bothered mentioning polarity.
Being drop shaped means tantalum (in my experience).