Hysteresis Oscillator new effect (555, stutter, atari)

Started by choklitlove, November 15, 2006, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Just tried this on breadboard using a cmos 7555 and I can't believe how good it sounds. It compares very favourably sound wise with JC's excellent, but much more complicated Nyquist Aliaser, very impressive for such a simple circuit. It's surprisingly quiet as well, I was expected to get a lot of clock bleedthrough when you weren't playing but mine is virtually silent.
You do get the tick that rides on top of the sound when you're playing, but all the similar circuits I've tried or heard do the same thing. Like other people have said it's because the clock is a square edged pulse, putting a small cap across the diode reduces the click but lowers the maximum frequency a bit.
Might be interesting to replace the 250k pot with an LDR/LED combo and hook it up to and LFO, so you could get frequency sweeps. Might be an idea to add input and output buffers as well, although it seems to work fine as it is. 

choklitlove

i'll mess with it again tomorrow.  does anyone have any more suggestions before then?
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Cursor

Quote from: slacker on March 29, 2007, 03:14:02 PM
Just tried this on breadboard using a cmos 7555 and I can't believe how good it sounds. It compares very favourably sound wise with JC's excellent, but much more complicated Nyquist Aliaser, very impressive for such a simple circuit. It's surprisingly quiet as well, I was expected to get a lot of clock bleedthrough when you weren't playing but mine is virtually silent.
You do get the tick that rides on top of the sound when you're playing, but all the similar circuits I've tried or heard do the same thing. Like other people have said it's because the clock is a square edged pulse, putting a small cap across the diode reduces the click but lowers the maximum frequency a bit.
Might be interesting to replace the 250k pot with an LDR/LED combo and hook it up to and LFO, so you could get frequency sweeps. Might be an idea to add input and output buffers as well, although it seems to work fine as it is. 

- The DIY Vactrol route with the LED side powered by a 386 split off the main input worked well for me. Add a 555-clocked 4017 with 8 pots for sequenced madness :D

Noplasticrobots

I love the smell of solder in the morning.