....and another one: The 3 LEGGED DOG perf layout

Started by Xavier, November 16, 2006, 09:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Some of you may think "when is this guy designing his own circuits instead of doing what everybody else has done already?", and you are probably right. The breadboard is ready to be used, and I should show up with the absolutely ultimate high gain dist circuit ever designed ;D.

In the meantime, another one I have never seen before as a vero/perf layout. Should work as it's pretty simple and it's adapted from an existing PCB layout

Enjoy it.

royzic

that's a good layout!

the circuit is not the most usefull though. a bit squeely.
taming it with an output buffer,and  grounded true bypass helped.
keep up the good work
8)

KerryF

Cool Xavier... Im enjoying your Layout run in the past few days!  :icon_biggrin:

markm

Quote from: royzic on November 16, 2006, 06:44:22 PM
that's a good layout!

I agree.
I had the misfortune of messing around with this circuit a bit and found it to be quite unstable.
Fun but, unstable.....reminded me of a girl I knew years ago but, that's a different story altogether.  :icon_wink:

stumper1

Quote from: royzic on November 16, 2006, 06:44:22 PM
that's a good layout!

taming it with an output buffer,and  grounded true bypass helped.
keep up the good work
8)

Just curious - what kind of buffer did you use?  I've been playing with a lot of 4049 circuits lately.  I've been using shielded input and output wires and grounded bypass.  Was the buffer very effective?
Deric®

royzic

hey stumper1

if i remember ,it was a simple add on output buffer :

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/TheBigMan-Layouts/fetbuffer

there are of course better ones but this one did  tame the squealing quite well.
eventually it ended up in the circuit graveyard nonetheless..

Xavier

Yeah I have read some comments about this circuit squealing. However it looks like a good base to build up high gain fx. It's kind of like the "JFET multi-stage distortions"

I've always said that the Red Llama is the most amp-like OD I've ever heard. It's only that it has that fuzzy edge I hate. If one can get rid of the fuzz, 4049 circuits may well be the answer when looking for a fire breather.

I'll probably breadboard it and investigate a little bit

stumper1

I'll try a buffer and see if it helps.  One thing I've found w/any 4049 circuits that I've played with is that battery voltage seems critical.  When the voltage drops a little they all squeal like crazy.  I always use a power supply - and some extra power supply filtering - and it helps keep them under control.
Deric®