Question for Steve (SmallBear)

Started by DryRoasted, November 17, 2006, 04:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DryRoasted

Steve (or anyone else for that matter),

I bought one of your Tremulus Bear kits, but its proving abot of a pain and I need a trem real quick so I etched a Tremulus Lune PCB last night and started assembling this morning, my first q is can I use the LDR you supplied with the Lune? And can you identify the legs for me please in relation to the Tonepad layout please cus thats a bit confusing as which leg is which too :)

See pic

The only identifying marking is the white spot by one of the short legs.

Cheers Jim
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

darron

if nobody else answers, where's my guess for now:

white dots and other marking show the negative side of a component. since one side will be a resistor (which has no polarity), and the other side an LED, i't's fairly safe to say that the dot shows the negative side on the led, and the other side is the resistance.

all you had to do was hook it up to your DMM to be sure though?
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Meanderthal

Steve does have customer service email ya know, and he's pretty good about answering questions. Keep in mind that the man just got home from vacation, so he's probably overwhelmed with a backlog of work now. Give him a chance, he'll catch up.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

DryRoasted

I know Stves just back from Holiday so I didnt want to bung up his email even more than it already is and I know hes around the forums alot.

As for the LDR, I tried to use my MM logically knowing that the "dark" resistance is different to "Light" so I tried adding power to one set of legs and measuring then measuring without etc but no joy
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

DryRoasted

Hey hey hey! Darro you're a genisus white dot is negative on the LED side, I'm so used to "markings" meaning positive on comonents I ignored the possibility!

cheers guys!

Sweetalk

If you want to be sure when you're making the tremulus put a common LED in the place of the opto's LED and look if it works, THEN put the opto...

When you probe the opto think that it's a LED and use a resistor so you don't burn it.

darron

Quote from: Sweetalk on November 17, 2006, 09:59:40 AM
If you want to be sure when you're making the tremulus put a common LED in the place of the opto's LED and look if it works, THEN put the opto...

When you probe the opto think that it's a LED and use a resistor so you don't burn it.

good call. i was going to mention from your previous comment i hope that you didn't just hook it up to a 9volt battery, that would burn out most led's within about 2 seconds.

you need to limit hte current with at least a 1k5 resistor, or upwards preferably.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

DryRoasted

Lol I wasnt gonna make that mistake, I a bunch of 3mm super bright blue LEDS and way back when, I connected one straiht to 9v and burnt my skin quite nicely, so Im not gonna repeat that :)