Neovibe: pads A, A1, B, and an isolated power jack

Started by Rick Hardslab, November 19, 2006, 06:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Hardslab

Looking at the neovibe project here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/neovibe.pdf

It appears that in the schematic pad A is the effect in, but on the parts placement nothing is connected to it.  Instead there is pad A1 (which I don't think is in the schem) used for the effect input.
Also, in the schematic nothing is connected to pad B.  But on the PCB, pad B is a ground connection.
In the schem R1 goes to pad B (NC), but in the PCB parts layout R1 goes to pad A1 (again, not in the schematic from what I can tell).
In situations like this I tend to just go from the layout diagram, but I figured I'd check to make sure I'm not missing something.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

In addition...
Does anyone have a suggestion (mouser part #) for an isolated (plastic) 2.5mm female power jack that would be appropriate if I decided to use the following transformer:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/164124.pdf

R.G.

QuoteIt appears that in the schematic pad A is the effect in, but on the parts placement nothing is connected to it.  Instead there is pad A1 (which I don't think is in the schem) used for the effect input.
Also, in the schematic nothing is connected to pad B.  But on the PCB, pad B is a ground connection.
In the schem R1 goes to pad B (NC), but in the PCB parts layout R1 goes to pad A1 (again, not in the schematic from what I can tell).
In situations like this I tend to just go from the layout diagram, but I figured I'd check to make sure I'm not missing something.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.
The insight is that the schematic and layout have been through several iterations in the approximately ten years since the first schemo and layout were done.

The original univibe had two inputs, accounting for the two inputs, accounting for A and B on the schemo. I later reduced that to one input, as no one today will ever use the second input. So all of the letter designations got shifted up one.

Even later, I got a howl from an "originalist" who actually wanted two inputs, not to use but because it was original. The schemo and layout pad lettering got out of whack. When I put the second input back in, I just labeled it A1 instead of relettering all of the pads on the schematic and the layout.

Here's what you do to fix this conundrum: Take a bottle of liquid paper and blank out the pad designations on the schematic. Relabel them to match the layout. Or relabel the layout to match the schematic.

Note that pad "X" is the cancel pad used on the original non-bypass univibe to cancel the effect. No one uses that anymore that I know of.
QuoteDoes anyone have a suggestion (mouser part #) for an isolated (plastic) 2.5mm female power jack that would be appropriate if I decided to use the following transformer:
161-1650-EX looks like it will work. Hard to tell with the tiny illustrations, but the datasheet view looks correct.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.