Let me let some steam out... Hammond boxes! Grrr...

Started by JimRayden, December 04, 2006, 04:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

Why do the UK Hammonds suck so damn hard???? I've got two BB's, the lid is a real pain in the bum to screw/unscrew, needs some forcing here and there. And the heads of the screws are so idiotically 'slipping'. Also the edges of the lid and the box leave ALOT to be desired and need some massive sanding.

I got a Taiwanese 'BB' (although it says made in China) from SB and it was perfect! Edges are great, the screws go in as smooth as a hot knife in butter, and the heads grip nicely to any compatible screw driver.

In this case one would prefer eastern stuff over western because you simply get way higher quality and more dedication for the same amount of money (even cheaper).

I officially declare Hammond UK to be uber sucky!

---------
Jimbo

JimRayden

And why the heck is Hammond Europe the main thing Banzai sells? I wish they had the same choice of cheap eastern boxes available (other than those powder coated 125B's), or I'm gonna move my business to Smallbear.

By the way, does anyone know the rough cost of shipping from Smallbear to EU, all together with taxes and stuff...

----------
Jimbo

slacker

I've had the same problem with the lids, where the holes don't quite line up . I solved it by drilling out the holes in the lids with a 4 or 5mm drill bit, to give a bit of "slack".
It would also help if the screws weren't made out of Swiss cheese  :icon_mrgreen:

The Tone God

It might have something to do with Hammond buying Eddystone in the UK. I have seen some cases being sold here in Canada as Hammond but with the Eddystone logo inside. Maybe Hammond is doing the reverse using the Eddystone factory/molds under their own name in the UK as I have found that some of the Eddystone boxes (both before and after purchase) lacking.

Andrew

dano12

I'm really quite bored with Hammond-type aluminum boxes in general. Where are the sources for nice aluminum boxes that aren't so poorly made?

gez

Quote from: JimRayden on December 04, 2006, 04:20:04 PM
I've got two BB's, the lid is a real pain in the bum to screw/unscrew, needs some forcing here and there. And the heads of the screws are so idiotically 'slipping'.

Step 1. Use these to unscrew the b*stards:

http://uk.shopping.com/xGS-angle_screwdriver~NS~1~linkin_id-7000343

The extra torque you get due to the bent handle makes tough screws child's play.

Step 2. Spray WD40 on the removed screws and in the slots (do this prior to painting/lettering in case it damages the finish).  The screws will go in no problem after this treatment.

Do a search for the above items as you'll probably find them cheaper (it was the first link I came across).

PS  (edit) I have a couple of sets.  Can't remember who makes one of them but the Draper ones (buy the 2pc set) work fine.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

JimRayden

I think I'll have a go at Banzai's sheet metal boxes. I hope they screw better. Thye're so darn cheap anyway, not much to lose.

If I like 'em - farewell diecast boxes forever. :)

Edit: Ooh, these are made in Italy... Let's see.... ;)

---------
Jimbo

gez

Quote from: gez on December 04, 2006, 04:43:43 PM
Step 2. Spray WD40 on the removed screws and in the slots

PPS.  If you use the aerosol's pipe to do this, wrap bog-roll/cotton around the bottom where it goes into the holes, so that the WD40 doesn't spray back in your face (best to wear eye protection too).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Seljer

I resorted out to drilling out the screws in some of those Hammonds so I could even get inside  :icon_neutral:

JimRayden

Quote from: Seljer on December 04, 2006, 05:02:05 PM
I resorted out to drilling out the screws in some of those Hammonds so I could even get inside  :icon_neutral:

That's why I'm posting this thread. The slippery screws prevent me to open my newly purchased BB. >:(

---------
Jimbo

phillip

The Canadian-made Hammond boxes seem to be quite a bit better than the EU-made boxes.  The Canadian boxes had a much smoother finish and didn't require as much sanding to get the pits and low spots out.

Phillip

MartyMart

I had a bunch of the taiwanese 1590BB's from smallbear and they were fantastic, first batch of
screws were oversized and steve replaced them all :D
Only UK ones I use are either BimBox ( Cornich boxes/hammerite grey from Maplin ) or Eddystone, which were also good.

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Satch12879

Dude, you're in the UK, have you tried enclosures by Deltron or Boss?
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

jrc4558

Hi all! I love canadian-made hammonds, use them frequently.
on the relevant note, anyone knows where to get the screws for the boxes? I have bought several surplus 1590DD's but without screws...

markm

Quote from: MartyMart on December 04, 2006, 07:16:10 PM
I had a bunch of the taiwanese 1590BB's from smallbear and they were fantastic, first batch of
screws were oversized and steve replaced them all :D
Only UK ones I use are either BimBox ( Cornich boxes/hammerite grey from Maplin ) or Eddystone, which were also good.

MM

I like the Eddystone enclosures.
Can't find 'em here in the "colonies" though!  :icon_frown:

sfr

Quote from: Constantin Necrasov on December 04, 2006, 08:22:13 PM
Hi all! I love canadian-made hammonds, use them frequently.
on the relevant note, anyone knows where to get the screws for the boxes? I have bought several surplus 1590DD's but without screws...

I just brought my box to the hardware store, found what fit and used that.   Just a standard machine screw.  I believe an M4 or something, I'm not certain off the top of my head.  I had one oddball box, I don't remember where i got it from (might have been an old re-used DOD A/B box?) that had an non-metric thread, but I believe the rest of the boxes I've used where metric.  I got the nice stainless steel ones so to avoid some of the problems described here. (although I've had more problems with the threads in the Aluminum stripping - I had to re-drill and tap a couple of boxes for larger sized screws)
sent from my orbital space station.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I can't solve the crap box problem - I have wonderful made-in-taiwan ones from Altronics in Australia - but I can tell you how to get screws out without wrecking them: there is a fluid specially made for this purpose, you put a drop on your screwdriver head & the torque before slipping increases by five times or more.
I think it is just a suspension of carborundum grit in oil :icon_wink: but, it is miraculous.
I've removed 'security' screws using just an ordiary philips & this stuff :icon_biggrin:

Gilles C

They are 6-32 x 1/2" screws. It's the same as those used for computers (if I remember well...)

I like to replace the screws with Torx instead of Phillips heads.

Btw, that's for the boxes I buy... in Canada  ;)

Added: I just checked the box I bought last week for my Cattle Drive. I decided to buy one that was already paint to make it easy this time.

Ok, I had a surprise. It was made in EU instead of Canada like the non painted boxes I normally buy???? But it is still 6/32" screws. When I tried to install the 5/32" Torx screws I now use, I noticed that 2 of the 4 screws wouldn't screw completely. They screw until about half the lengh of the screw... Then, they jam right there  :icon_confused:

Gilles

rockgardenlove

Aren't Eddystone boxes just CA Hammonds?

I know Hammond at least owns them.

sfr

Quote from: Gilles C on December 05, 2006, 12:06:29 AM
They are 6-32 x 1/2" screws. It's the same as those used for computers (if I remember well...)

I like to replace the screws with Torx instead of Phillips heads.

Btw, that's for the boxes I buy... in Canada  ;)

Added: I just checked the box I bought last week for my Cattle Drive. I decided to buy one that was already paint to make it easy this time.

Ok, I had a surprise. It was made in EU instead of Canada like the non painted boxes I normally buy???? But it is still 6/32" screws. When I tried to install the 5/32" Torx screws I now use, I noticed that 2 of the 4 screws wouldn't screw completely. They screw until about half the lengh of the screw... Then, they jam right there  :icon_confused:

Gilles

Now that I come to think of it, yeah, the Hammonds are non-metric, aren't they?  For some reason I thought all my boxes where metric and the the non-metric one I had was the odd man out, maybe I have it backwards.  I just have a really bad memory, it seems, and I'm constantly at the hardware store buying misc. bolts or what not for *something* . . .

I've had problems with some boxes having the holes for the screws not drilled as deep as others - some of the boxes I have must have the holes drilled almost all the way through, because I can fit a fairly long screw in there. (Which is helpful if I strip out the threads in the box with a shorter screw) But I've noticed the same thing with some of them having really shallow holes, and I think I last noticed it on a pre-painted one I had bought, as well.   I just use the bolt cutters on the giant, ineffectual wirestripper I have, the kind where you thread the bolt in and then close the jaws and it snaps the excess off.  (Where saftey glasses, the bit you knock off will go flying)
sent from my orbital space station.