News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

new fuzz!

Started by doug deeper, December 13, 2006, 04:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug deeper

heres somthing thats kind of fun!
the .01 cap and the diodes are there to cause intermodulation (and a hint of octave)
quick build and sounds pretty heafty!
a 100k volume control is probably in order  ;)

doug deeper

forgot to mention what it sounds like!
kind of like a fuzzrite but more stoner rock with power chords. (full chords are mush...good mush)
and kind of synthy on singal notes.

MartyMart

That's neat Doug .... "Simple Stoner Fuzz"   :D

" S.S.F " for short !
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bluesdevil

I'm gonna have to give this one a try!! First need to clear off my breadboard.. thanks for sharing, Doug.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

$uperpuma

I think Wampler has something similar to this in one of his Design books... might help you develop it... can't beat the simplicity though! breadboard here I come
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

doug deeper

the cool thing is that its acualy fuzz not the high gain distortion that usualy comes from driving a 386.

lookie here

thats cool nice and simple might try to build it soon. Just a coupke questions though, can i use another chip other than the 386d? And where is the 9 volt neg? Im a n00b at these kind of things
Renegades Of Funk

doug deeper

the lm386 should work fine, but i think the jrc version sounds a bit better.
since this is powered by a 9v battery its just a + conection and a grooud (the arrow facing down)

lookie here

ah thanks lots. and how would i add a switch to this.
Renegades Of Funk

doug deeper

http://www.muzique.com/schem/dpdt.gif

you will want to add a volume control as well.
look at some other fuzz schematics and you should get the idea. (a 100k pot will work fine)

lookie here

Ah sweet thanks
EDIT- It would be a audio pot right?
Renegades Of Funk

John Lyons

You will want to use an Audio taper pot for 99% of volume and gain controls.
John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Marcos - Munky

Cool!!! Just a question, what's the name of this fuzz :icon_question:

doug deeper

lets call it....."the freakout fuzz"
you can put it on your site if you'd like marcos.

Barcode80

anyone think a 4558 would work with this?

PKV

Where can you get the JRC386? I'm in the U.S. ...

thanks - I have yet to even breadboard a project, but I love the simplicity of this - any sound clips?

petemoore

anyone think a 4558 would work with this? nope
  Check Smallbear, Mouser for the 'upscale' 386.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Goddamn that's simple! Very keen to hear some soundclips!

ezanker

Just put this on my breadboard and played around with it.  As stated sounds good with the barre chords.

I then for the hell of it swapped the 2 caps positions and this gave the unit more gain/volume and a little more sustain on the high single notes. Finally I hit the input with a java boost clone (also on my breadboard right now) and it turned into a pretty high gain distortion without any harsh highs.  Sounded good with both single coils and humbuckers through my Fender tube amp.

All this from 2 caps, 2 diodes, a chip and a volume pot.  Great circuit Doug, lots of fun with a small parts count.  :)

Erik

doug deeper

thanks for the kind words!