Nobels ODR-1 mod for True Bypass... I did search!

Started by tonefreak, December 21, 2006, 12:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonefreak

I did an exhaustive search for ODR-1 and Nobels, but nothing was revealed regarding how I can true bypass the pedal using a 3pdt.

A friend of mine wants me to rehouse his original "greenie" ODR-1 and would like to have it True Bypassed.  I know how to true bypass a pedal using a 3pdt no problems.  But the ODR-1 presents a challenge with its electronic switching.

Is there a way to by pass the stock switching all together so that I can implement a 3pdt or is there some trick to disable or on-default the stock switching system?? 

I have the schematic and it looks like I can simply remove the Q5 (XON), Q6 (XOFF) and Q7 (XON), and put a jumper in their places... seem like this would by pass the whole 14007 w/ remote switching all together.  I've highlighted the components here:

Here's the link to the schematic:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/nobels_odr1_overdrive.pdf

Am I on the right track?  I would really appreciate some help as this is a really good friend of mine and I want to do this right.

Thanks!

MartyMart

Looks like you just need two small jumpers ( or small insulated wire jumpers, depending on the location )
From the input buffer Q1, jumper from the C1/R4 junction to between C10/R10 and remove Q5
You dont need R5, another 330k to ground or C10 in the signal path now, as removing Q5 means
there's no extra DC to block before R10 ( 2k7 )

Second jumper, from the control PCB level pot wiper, remove C41 ( there's another cap at C42!) and remove Q7
Reconnect jumper/wire at C42 and cut the trace leading to Q6.
Q4 and Q6 could also then be removed.
Here you could use C41's upper "pad hole" and Q7's lower hole to get your connection to C42, the earlier jumper at Q1 will work by
removing C10 and using it's "pad hole" next to R10 for your connection from Q5's upper pad hole ..... make sense ?
This would mean no "fiddly" drilling of the PCB to get solder connections.
Trace through the PCB for both these jumpers to make sure you have the correct connection, should be
quite an easy one to do.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tonefreak

vortex

Hey Tonefreak, Did you know that you can fit a standard 3PDT switch right in the original Nobels housing? I realize that you may have other plans for enclosures...

tonefreak

Quote from: vortex on December 21, 2006, 12:47:12 PM
Hey Tonefreak, Did you know that you can fit a standard 3PDT switch right in the original Nobels housing? I realize that you may have other plans for enclosures...

Let me check tonight, but it didn't look like a lot of room for a 3PDT.  I will post my findings here.

I actually do have other plans... I got a great enclosure from Mouser that was too good to be true because it seem like this "desktop" enclosure was made to rehouse Nobels pedals.  Slant top that levels out just perfectly for the pots.

AL

Just 'cause I'm nosy - why does your friend want it TB? I have two of those and haven't had any problems with them. Great sounding pedals if you can find them.

AL

MartyMart

Quote from: AL on December 21, 2006, 02:25:48 PM
Just 'cause I'm nosy - why does your friend want it TB? I have two of those and haven't had any problems with them. Great sounding pedals if you can find them.

AL

Good point and should have been my first reply !!
I have two and they are fantastic and pretty much "noiseless" too :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tonefreak

Quote from: MartyMart on December 21, 2006, 02:27:36 PM
Quote from: AL on December 21, 2006, 02:25:48 PM

AL

Good point and should have been my first reply !!
I have two and they are fantastic and pretty much "noiseless" too :D

MM.

We'll I tried to explain to that I could simply put a more sturdy switch to engage and disengage the pedal.  That dinky stock switch has been giving him problems and his enclosure is all beat up.  He really wants true bypass, but maybe I'll approach him again with forgoing the true bypass. Then all I would have to do is replace the pots and jacks for more substancial ones.

I have a Hakko desoldering gun, so I can remove components with virtually no board or component damage.

Either way, I'm okay with what ever he decides... and it's a fun project!

tonefreak

Okay... did the true by pass mod and it works perfectly... thanks to all that contributed.

All new jacks, pots, power tap, footswitch and LED (not pictured).  The enclosure goes out to get powder coated and when it returns, only the assembly remains.

Konx

Thirteen years later... :icon_redface:

Could you explain how to connect the 3PDT to do true bypass on this pedal?

If I have understood it well, I must remove Q5, Q6 and Q7 and put a jumper on Q5 and Q7.

How do I get the LED to work? If you could put a 3PDT scheme towards the nobels...

Thanks