Behringer Tuner Out Of Tune....I Tried But Looking For Ideas

Started by Incubus, December 27, 2006, 02:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incubus

As you may know by now, this thing is out of tune.

I've seen reports on Harmony Central from people saying their units don't work, and guess what, mine doesn't either.

In my particular case, it will make the guitar in tune with itself, but it's overall pitch is slightly high.

If I inject a 110 Hz signal, it reads 40 cents low. In fact, any "correct" frequency I inject reads 40 cents too low. So I end up with an "A" note which is almost half way between "A" and "A#". (50 cents being exactly half way).

So I thought I'd try replacing the crystal (16 MHz crystal across two pins of the microcontroller).....the result is that the thing is still the same.

Now, what I'm looking for is some understanding.......would the problem be some other component on the board causing this, or, bad design of some part of the circuit, or bad code in the microcontroller ?

I assume that they would have "borrowed" the code from the Boss TU-2 Tuner, but who knows.

This thing is so close to actually working correctly, that I can't figure out what the problem may be.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

d95err

It says on the website, you can adjust the reference pitch from 438 to 447Hz. Have you tried that?

markm

Quote from: d95err on December 28, 2006, 07:17:25 AM
It says on the website, you can adjust the reference pitch from 438 to 447Hz. Have you tried that?

That would be a good place to start.

Incubus

Yes....tried that.

If I set the reference frequency to the lower end, it pushes the reading on the led's slightly more towards "in tune", but doesn't make it all the way.

If I set the reference frequency to the higher end, it pushes the reading further out of tune.

aron

That's sad. I would give up and buy a cheapo $20 tuner. The time you waste on this, would be probably better spent playing.  ???

aron

Barcode80

spring for the boss tu-2. there is none better and you will keep it FOREVER. IMHO, the best, most reliable, durable, versatile, and convenient tuner available in a stomp box.

also, i highly recommend AGAINST any planet waves stuff. cheap cheap cheap. works fine until you look at it funny, then something breaks. tunes properly during it's short lifespan though.

Incubus

Don't think I can return it as I bought it a few months back, but I didn't start testing it properly until just recently.

It only cost me 40 bucks, so now I'm trying to think of something else I might be able to do with the box.

Lesson learned I guess.

blanik

better than the boss tu-2 is the korg dt-10 (at roughly the same price...)..  more precise tuning IMHO...

R.

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.