Here's a project for someone! More of a challenge really.

Started by boogietube, December 29, 2006, 01:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogietube

This guy on www.theottawamusician.com wants to get a specific volume type of pedal made for him.

I asked for more details and he posted this for the specs that he wants.
I have a feeling that he'll pay well.

Here's the link:

http://leebowie.com/volume_pedal/LB-1%20Guitar%20Volume%20Pedal.pdf
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Somicide

I'm going to be pessimistic here, but I'm pretty sure my wah is at least 4"Wx9"Lx3.5"H (the H being in "heel down" position, from ground to treadle.), so there may be a problem there already.
Peace 'n Love

Alex C

QuoteTravel Feel Pot
clockwise for toe heavy
counter clockwise for heel heavy

What is a "travel feel pot?"  I'm not sure I understand the description.  Does he mean the physical feel of the rocker pedal itself or the taper?  Is there an existing product with this feature?

QuoteDimensions:
must be no more then
4 inches wide
6 inches long
2 inches high

How much physical "rocking" can you do with a 6 inch (or less if it's shorter than the enclosure) pedal?  Put your foot on the 8 1/2" side of a piece of paper.  That seems pretty small to me, and I wear a size 9!

I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just not clear on the details.

-Alex

boogietube

I've forwarded the posts to him. I'll post all replies, and mediate between him and us. This could be fun as a design challenge. At least fun for me to read! :icon_wink:
I certainly do not have the skill level to contribute.
Sean
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.

KerryF

Im sure if someone (or at least me) tried to think about this, we (I) could figure it out, but unfortunately I am on break and my brain has shut off.  And its pretty much impossible for me to get it working for this right know...  Sorry. :-\ (I know this is a meaning less post)  :icon_rolleyes:

Seljer

Quote from: call1800ksmyazz on December 29, 2006, 04:07:06 PM
Im sure if someone (or at least me) tried to think about this, we (I) could figure it out, but unfortunately I am on break and my brain has shut off.  And its pretty much impossible for me to get it working for this right know...  Sorry. :-\ (I know this is a meaning less post)  :icon_rolleyes:

you could easily mod the true bypass and a switch to get rid of the minimum volume (as well as an indicator) into one of the Morley volume pedals
not sure about that adjustable taper but I do think that it should be possible, you'd just need to think it out a bit (I think it'd be something to do with the brightness of the LEDs)

but those dimensions are pretty small for an expression pedal, the small Ernie Ball one is 3.5" W x 10" L x2 3/8" H , the Morleys are 9.1"x5.8"x2.7" according to their website

boogietube

Here's the response:
Good questions...

"Travel Feel" Pot controls the taper. Morley SLVO had that feature. Manual and schematics here
http://www.leebowie.com/volume_pedal/

The dimension requirements are just a guideline. What I'm looking for is something comfortable to use that does not take up too much real estate on a effects pedal board (mine is an SKB-25). Your right 10 inches is more realistic. I will update the pdf.

Somicide

Quote from: Alex C on December 29, 2006, 03:35:45 PM
QuoteDimensions:
must be no more then
4 inches wide
6 inches long
2 inches high

How much physical "rocking" can you do with a 6 inch (or less if it's shorter than the enclosure) pedal?  Put your foot on the 8 1/2" side of a piece of paper.  That seems pretty small to me, and I wear a size 9!

I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just not clear on the details.

-Alex

I did just that with a piece of paper!  I wear size 12 (US) though, so... heh.
Peace 'n Love

Meanderthal

That schematic is incredibly simple... I would have expected active or at least buffered, but this would work great in front of a fuzz. Maybe it would work with a VTL5C4/2 instead of cardboard with slots...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

Barcode80

okay, here's the thing(s):

the DOD volume/wah pedal made in the late eighties (i think) is actually slightly smaller than this. all metal. a few mods and you have what this guy needs.

also, i'm not sure of the purpose of a switch on a volume pedal. i mean, isn't this usually an "always on" application?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOD-FX-17-Wah-Volume-pedal-w-AC_W0QQitemZ280062812039QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41422QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOD-Vintage-Wah-and-Volume-Pedal-FX17-Made-in-USA-Mint_W0QQitemZ140069218174QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41422QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOD-FX-17-Volume-Wah-pedal_W0QQitemZ130063347531QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41422QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

DOD also had a control voltage pedal using the same pedal structure.