JHS 77 DOD 250 MP3's

Started by tungngruv, December 31, 2006, 08:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

Just wanted to post this in a seperate thread for ease of using the search function. Many thanks to JHS for getting this info out there. 

I used 1n4002's, JHS swears by the 1n4003's. The 250's have been in my top 10 for a long time but the 77 version kills (IMHO).

Use linear pots, Gain and volume can be maxed out at the same time with no squeel/oscillating. Can also be used as a stand alone OD without sounding like a chump. No Gain from Amp on these clips, check them out, also dial up friendly:

Rythym Sound: (old UFO tune)
http://home.grics.net/tungngruv/77DOD250.mp3

Bridge Solo tone: (from same UFO tune)
http://home.grics.net/tungngruv/77DOD250SingleNoteBridgePU.mp3

Neck solo tone: (real sloppy Malmsteen imitation)
http://home.grics.net/tungngruv/77DOD250SingleNoteNeckPU.mp3

Layout is in MarkM's gallery and in my sub album (DOD 250)

markm

Haa!!!
That's some mighty fine picking tungngruv!
I think it's sounds great!
It's good to have some sounds up of this circuit, I still don't think the '77 circuit has gotten the glory it deserves but, these sound sample you just provided will certainly help it along.
Nice job my friend!!  :icon_cool:

tungngruv

Ha! Your posts and layout are the ones that made me do it, so it's all your fault!!!! :icon_cool:

Seriously, thanks Mark!

Barcode80

i WILL be building this one! thanks for the clips Tony!

John Lyons

Sound nice Tony!
It's funny how the DOD OD250, MXR Distortion + and the Yngwie 308 are the same circuit with slight changes.
The YM308 being a treble booster (.001) input cap.
I have a Distortion + I just got in the mail to refurbish for a guy. It has 1n27 germaniums in the clipping section. Pretty squishy!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

markm

Quote from: Basicaudio on January 01, 2007, 08:52:55 PM
Sound nice Tony!
It's funny how the DOD OD250, MXR Distortion + and the Yngwie 308 are the same circuit with slight changes.
The YM308 being a treble booster (.001) input cap.
I have a Distortion + I just got in the mail to refurbish for a guy. It has 1n27 germaniums in the clipping section. Pretty squishy!

John

Did you mean 1N270 John??

John Lyons

Yes, sorry, they are 1n270s...typo.
This one has a 10K volume, I have to turn it up full to get to unity gain, maybe a bit more than unity. I'll replace that with a 100K...
I'm thinking I'll do something like Phillip's Liquid drive or try the '77 OD250... Not sure yet what the guy wants.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Mark Hammer

Once again, note the difference between the 250's Vref circuit, and the Dist+ version: a pair of 22k resistors versus a pair of 1M.  Somebody should whip up a "dual recto" version of the circuit and see what the sonic differences are as a function of bias current.  I'm convinced the current-limiting of that 1M pair is a big part of what provides the difference in their respective tones. 

Xavier

Sounds quite gainy and more like a distortion , judging from the *very nice* samples.

I think I'm also building it !!

tungngruv

It's going to sound "gainy" because I had the gain maxed out. :icon_lol: That's as much as it gets but I think most people, including myself, use it with an already breaking up sound. I just recorded those through a clean tube amp to show what it does without any help. One thing I did notice is for some reason (1n4002's, lack of the 10uf/4.7uf ? ), it has a lot less "fizz" on the high end that I do have on a couple other 80's 250's. Really a smoother tone on the 77 version.

markm

John Lyons

You have to figure that the .002 cap across the clipping diodes smooths out the fizz a bit more as well.
The OD250/dist+ etc. used .001 there.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tungngruv

Your right John, completely forgot about that change. I really never cared for the MXR Dist.+, even though these are so similar. I always felt they had a bedroom gig sound to them, too much gain and the fizz on top despite being a favorite of Randy Rhoades. I wonder if the .002's would make a noticeable difference to that sound? I guess I'll just quit playing guitar and catch up on all the pedal stuff this dang forum keeps adding to my priority list! :icon_lol:

John Lyons

Yes, The Dist + is the same circuit with a few changes in values. Same with the ross dist and another one as well I think...?
I never really liked the Dist + either. My brother had one because he was a randy rhodes fanatic...

My gosh! I can say I am addited to coming here as well. I spend a lot of time "researching" here. I can't stop!
I sat down the other day and pulled out the scale charts and chord dictionary. Humbling! I need to play more...

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

markm

Quote from: Basicaudio on January 02, 2007, 10:05:04 PM
Yes, The Dist + is the same circuit with a few changes in values. Same with the ross dist and another one as well I think...?
I never really liked the Dist + either. My brother had one because he was a randy rhodes fanatic...

My gosh! I can say I am addited to coming here as well. I spend a lot of time "researching" here. I can't stop!
I sat down the other day and pulled out the scale charts and chord dictionary. Humbling! I need to play more...

John

Hi hear ya  & you're makin' sense!  :D

wampcat1

what amp are you using in these clips?

MartyMart

Nice clips and the playing is very far from sloppy !!
I made one with 4002's as soon as it came up, sounds GREAT :D
2n2 across the Dist+diodes works a treat BTW

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

John Lyons

Pretty sure the amp is a Marshall JMP 50 watt head into a Marshall 4x12.

EDIT: here's the amp: http://www.tungngruv.com/content/amp.html

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

wampcat1

Quote from: Basicaudio on January 03, 2007, 11:19:47 AM
Pretty sure the amp is a Marshall JMP 50 watt head into a Marshall 4x12.

EDIT: here's the amp: http://www.tungngruv.com/content/amp.html

John

Nice amp! :)

I like your site too, tung...I'm a huge Lynch fan myself. :)

bw

tungngruv

Yep John, that's the amp, on the low channel. Ibanez guitar with a SD Screamin Demon in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck. Amp only has two sounds and not at the same time. Low doesn't get distorted, high allows the use of the master volume.

Thanks also Brian, can't really go wrong with a Marshall?