SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Squarer

Started by g3rmanium, January 09, 2007, 04:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3rmanium

Quote from: Ben N on January 09, 2007, 05:45:52 PM
Schem?

I hope it's correct but it's so basic it really should be.
Call me Johann.

gez

Don't know anything about this chip, but should pins 2&4 be left 'floating' like that?  Judging by the data sheet, I'd say not (appologies if this isn't the case).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

A.S.P.

IC2 isn`t named.
The  picture is a layout, not a schematic.

I`m running away!
Analogue Signal Processing

gez

Whoops, didn't see the connections running under the chip (one of the reasons I hate looking at layouts!)  :icon_redface:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

g3rmanium

Quote from: gez on January 18, 2007, 01:30:40 PM
Whoops, didn't see the connections running under the chip (one of the reasons I hate looking at layouts!)  :icon_redface:

No, you were right, they weren't there. I changed the layout after noticing that X2 and Y2 goes to ground on my breadboard :)
Call me Johann.

g3rmanium

Quote from: A.S.P. on January 18, 2007, 12:30:08 PM
IC2 isn`t named.

It is, if you'd just click on the link. Don't know why it doesn't show up in that program.
Call me Johann.

Jaicen_solo

I've been running the AD633 in my ring mod design of a pair of 9v batteries, which seems to work just fine.

doug deeper

the ad633 is a weirdo for sure~!
it shouldnt but can run on a single 9v supply (my "the what?" pedal i used to make did this)
it just sounds really weird and broken...to bad they are so pricey.

g3rmanium

Quote from: doug deeper on January 19, 2007, 04:27:35 PM
the ad633 is a weirdo for sure~!
it shouldnt but can run on a single 9v supply (my "the what?" pedal i used to make did this)
it just sounds really weird and broken...to bad they are so pricey.

Maybe it's because you're running them off single supplies  :icon_wink:

And pricey? Have you looked at the prices of the AD734 lately?  :icon_lol:
Call me Johann.

Eb7+9

don't know why anybody would think this chip has any voltage-range restrictions - the whole thing is a floating current-mode multiplier, same applies to op-amps as far as single or dual supply biasing ... the common mode voltage of the input circuits can pretty much lie anywhere inside the rails ... the rails could be 0, +12, say, or -9, 0 or +486, +503 - doesn't matter, as long as it's properly AC coupled to outside world the chip can't tell ...

reason why the octave may not be 100% unreliable in this circuit is because there's no external circuit to balance off internal offsets which will occur with any multiplier no matter how much effort to make the circuit gradient symmetric on the die by the manufacturer - the AD633 is probably a little better than the LM1496 in this regard ... because of that internal offset situation you might notice a difference in the octave quality by subbing different chips in this unbalanced circuit ...

g3rmanium

Quote from: Eb7+9 on January 20, 2007, 12:27:05 PM
don't know why anybody would think this chip has any voltage-range restrictions - the whole thing is a floating current-mode multiplier, same applies to op-amps as far as single or dual supply biasing ...

Ok, I haven't tried it out. But part of my idea was to learn some more about chips -- not just the multiplier, but also what you can do regarding power with a single 9 V battery.

Quote from: Eb7+9 on January 20, 2007, 12:27:05 PM
reason why the octave may not be 100% unreliable in this circuit is because there's no external circuit to balance off internal offsets which will occur with any multiplier no matter how much effort to make the circuit gradient symmetric on the die by the manufacturer

There's this "Optional Offset Trim Configuration" graph which I might try out some day.

On the other hand, I don't have a signal generator yet (and I'm GASing for the new RG2228, argh!) so it's going to be hard to judge the quality of the octave.

So far, I'd say that the effect is different from other octavers. Not better, but different.
Call me Johann.