News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Building Inductors

Started by rasco22862, January 13, 2007, 02:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasco22862

Hi, i still cant´t get an inductor in my country. So mi question is: its possible to build you own inductor, with good results?
If not, in what type of home-objects, can i find them¡??

Thanks.

jonathan perez

what country are you in?

yes, you can wind your own inductor, but youd have to buy the parts from an american business....

you cant really find them in any in home objects...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

rasco22862

Im from Argentina. :).

What parts should i look for building the inductor.??

THe other question is: in what type of devices can i find the inductor, not the parts..

Thanks

Rafa

Hey Rasco Im from uruguay here its very difficuklt to find inductors, but I was told that dicomse.com.ar has lots of parts maybe its a expensive but youll probably find it there.
Cheers
Rafa

R.G.

QuoteWhat parts should i look for building the inductor.??
You'll need a ferrite magnetic core and the plastic bobbin. If you can, find yourself a dead high frequency switching power supply, perhaps a personal computer power supply. Tear it apart looking for the magnetic core and bobbin. There are usually three or four cores in each power supply. You want one that is perhaps 2-3CM across for this inductor. Then you also need to find very fine, small magnet wire. The wire you want will be 0.1 to 0.2mm diameter and insulated with a clearish plastic film.

QuoteTHe other question is: in what type of devices can i find the inductor, not the parts..
You probably can't. Devices using suitable inductors for wahs stopped being made with inductors perhaps thirty years ago. Engineers have tried for decades to eliminate inductors. It would be sheer massive luck to find one. It is ... possible... that an old, dead electronic organ might have suitable inductors in it, but if it does, it will have dozens, then you'll be back here wanting to know how to measure them...  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There are always those small audio transformers in old transistor radios (that's REALLY old transistor radios). Even small power transformers from plugpacks might be in the range. Worth a try. Just leave the unused windings unconnected.

rockgardenlove

Instead of hunting down old transformers, you can just buy new small ones.  I bet you can get them from within your country from somewhere. 

brett

Hi
the radio transformer thing is true.  I built a wah using the 1k winding on one of these 1k:8ohm audio transformers:

Unfortunately, the DC resistance is probably higher (at 150 ohms) than what's really desirable.  I never did measure the inductance, so I guess it might be quite a bit lower or higher thhan 500mmH.

Also, many places have an equivalent of the old Phillips FX2240 ferrite cores and bobbins.  In Australia they cost US$5.  Ten turns gives about 2.5mH, so I estimate that 500mH needs about 150 turns of enamelled wire (e.g. 0.2 mm diameter).  The winding doesn't have to be fancy - just basic round-and-round.  For US$7 you should get a really good inductor.
cheers

PS. or maybe for a large fee you'd like one with mojo built in  :icon_wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)