new effect idea? been done? viphrato?

Started by ulysses, January 25, 2007, 08:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulysses

hey guys

had a thought about combining a phaser and vibrato connected to the same timing block with a movable vibrato position pot. ie, lowest volume point of the vibrato at anywhere from the high end of the phase through to the low end of the phase. ie, if it was in the middle of the phase it would have a more pronounced hi to low effect..

has this been done before?

cheers
ulysses

R.G.

I don't think it's been done exactly that way.

As I understand what you typed, you really mean tremolo, a cyclic variation in loudness, not vibrato, a cyclic variation in frequency. Fender labels the controls with the wrong word.

What your position control really varies is the phase between the low frequency oscillators for the two effects. That is the minimum on the phasing happens where it happens. The position control varies where the minimum on the tremolo happens with respect to the minimum on the phaser.

That is possible, but difficult to implement.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Processaurus

How about few walking ring counter LFOs with smoothing caps for the different phases?  If you just wanted an option for inverting the tremolo lfo you could do that like the boss DC-2 does with an inverting opamp.

here's some more:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44269.0

ulysses

thanks for the replies guys

yeah i did mean tremolo but that gives me another cool idea.. what about a vibrato that only kicks in at a certain part of the phase. ie you could set how wide the vibrato size would be and then set its position of the phase. ie have the high swing of the phase vibratoing :)

with all three combined its starting to sound like lovepedal design :D

the ring counter is a nice idea and could be used to further enhance the user programability of the trem.

another idea i had would be to be able to set the tremolo sweep to double the speed of the phase speed with a switch. ie on one sweep the trem would drop the high end of th phase sweep out and on the next sweep it would drop the low end of the phase out?? or even just have a switch that was 1:1 and 1:2, depending on the switch position the associated pot would be able to sweep between 1:1 timing or 1:2 timing. very cool.

how difficult RG?

cheers
ulysses

Khas Evets

Check out the DOD Vibrothang. I'm not sure if this is exactly what your looking for, but it combines a synchronized tremolo and phaser. You can also control the amount of each effect. I have one, but I'm not crazy about it.

puretube

see: reply #35 & # 37
&: reply # 8

adds tremolo, panning and wah to the phase & vibe...

:icon_razz:

IGR

What about shape of both phases sine, ramp with rise-fall controls...Difference must be audible.

ulysses

hey puretube

got any audio demos of that monster? would love to hear them if you do :)

cheers
ulysses