A/DA Flanger versions... which one?

Started by tonefreak, February 11, 2007, 02:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonefreak

I committed to a ADA PCB and have the parts list, but what is the most popular version of this pedal?  Irwin/Giles, Rev3 or Rev4.  I'm looking for the version closest to circa 1979 ala Pat Travers.

Comments appreciated!

StephenGiles

I'm sorry but I can't help you. The version saga is complicated enough without introducing guitarists into the equation :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on February 11, 2007, 02:58:42 PM
I'm sorry but I can't help you. The version saga is complicated enough without introducing guitarists into the equation :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:
:icon_lol:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Meanderthal

Ok, mojo aside, forget the endorsements. Ignore the mountain of potential mods.  Now, stripped down to the circuit itself, I have a question- Which one would be the most reliable, or put another way- is there a version that can be calibrated by a guy with no oscilloscope? I've committed also, but I'm going to be interested in getting it to actually work... when the time comes.

I am not responsible for your imagination.

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: Meanderthal on February 11, 2007, 04:32:13 PM
is there a version that can be calibrated by a guy with no oscilloscope?
I'd say barely. I guess that with good judgement a lot can be done by ear but getting or borrowing a scope is required to get the most out.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Meanderthal

John Lyons

Hmmm...   I built the Maestro RM-1 ring mod. would you say that the AD/A would be harder to calibrate?

I think there are going to be some some bummed folks here if a scope is pretty much mandatory...me included.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

moosapotamus

I have to believe that you can get this to sound great without a 'scope. I don't have one either. But, my multimeter has a frequency counter.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

oldschoolanalog

tonefreak

Wow... didn't know this was such a controversial subject.  I guess I'm going with the Irwin/Giles version.

moosapotamus

I don't think it's controversial at all. It seems more like it's just lack of experience... the great unknown. If you don't build it, you'll never know. So, me... I'm building one... so far, I got all my parts sorted and the power supply populated... 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

oldschoolanalog

Once you get this thing working you will see there is no real "rev controversy". All the folks who have made finished, working units; some before this thing began, and some using moose rev 01 (HEY! Another Rev :icon_exclaim:); have used a fairly wide range of component choices. All pretty much agree on one thing: It sounds great. Go to the other thread and study what successful builders have done. Study the circuit. Break it down into "blocks". Learn what they do. Then try to develop an understanding of how they interact. This will go a long way to making this build a positive experience. You will love the finished product ;D.

Meanderthal

For me this one's gonna be a real challenge. The amount of information available is overwhelming... gonna take me a while to sort it out... and I must confess I've never dealt with BBD before, so in some cases I'm not quite sure what everybody's gabbling on about... But I guess I gotta put on my helmet and charge in... I'll figure it out eventually. Probably.

I don't think either of my DMMs can measure clock frequencies... Gives me an excuse to upgrade...

StephenGiles

A scope is not at all necessary. It can be set up by completely by ear. Next.......
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Meanderthal

Well, thank you! As Forrest Gump said- "That's one less thing to worry about".

StephenGiles

I think this belongs in the main A/DA Flanger tread does it not?

Ry

QuoteI think this belongs in the main A/DA Flanger tread does it not?

I'm wondering if we can create a 'meta' thread like over at the Prodigy Pro forum.  This subject seems appropriate for such a thing.

tonefreak

Quote from: StephenGiles on February 12, 2007, 12:47:31 PM
I think this belongs in the main A/DA Flanger tread does it not?

I would have definitely posted there... where is it?  I searched.  Are you referring to the A/DA Flanger PCB thread over at the buy/sell section?

StephenGiles