Winbond ChipCorder ICs EOL (Looping sampler ICs)

Started by The Tone God, February 12, 2007, 11:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

Winbond has EOL'd two series of the ChipCorder ICs that many DIY looping samplers use. The ISD1400 and the ISD2532 series.

http://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/163/358/

It does not mention the ISD2500 series that a few loopers, including Payback, use but the series is not listed on their site either. I can still find stock of that series at a few online distributors so it does not look like they are gone for now.

I will state that if the ISD2500 series is fully discontinued I will redesign Payback for another series.

Andrew

Jaicen_solo

Given that fact that the ISD2532 is about £1 cheaper than the 2560, i'm not really surprised that it's been discontinued! The 2560 is identical in every way except for the extra recording time, I don't think that's being discontinued.
Andrew, do you think there's room for two 2560 loopers over here? I've been thinking about finishing mine properly. 

slacker

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on February 13, 2007, 07:14:03 AM
Andrew, do you think there's room for two 2560 loopers over here? I've been thinking about finishing mine properly. 

I don't see why not. Given the amount of effort that went into it, it would be a shame not to finish it.
After all if we can have a million Tubescreamer clones why not have a couple of loopers to choose from.

The Tone God

Quote from: puretube on February 13, 2007, 05:13:52 AM
we have been warned...

I was waiting for an official statement before bringing this up. ;)

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on February 13, 2007, 07:14:03 AM
Given that fact that the ISD2532 is about £1 cheaper than the 2560, i'm not really surprised that it's been discontinued! The 2560 is identical in every way except for the extra recording time, I don't think that's being discontinued.

The ISD2532 and ISD2500 series are almost the same. Their control core seem to be the same but the memory structure is different. I could see Winbond deciding it was not worth maintaining two different memory structures when the only difference was a few seconds of time which most consumers would not care much about. I would even suspect that the memory core was borrowed from the 1400 series as it was similar structure and they decided to kill off that memory core production which would effect those two series. Just a guess on my part.

As I said I don't see the ISD2500 being discontinued but I still am worried because they are not listing the series on their site. This could be a web design fault or a hint of things to come. Either way I am not too worried. We can adapt if need be.

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on February 13, 2007, 07:14:03 AMAndrew, do you think there's room for two 2560 loopers over here? I've been thinking about finishing mine properly.

Sure! In fact from what I remember there are actually three ISD25XX series loopers already available (Dirty Sam, Mobius Trip, and Payback). The more the merry. :)

Andrew