New at Runoffgroove.com: OMEGA!

Started by stm, March 09, 2007, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenwood

Just a question:

On the mosfet section , does it need a led or zener diode to prevent static damage?
Lennie

Auke Haarsma

quite funny, I've been working on a likewise booster (jfet into mosfet), also based on Fetzer Valve. Interesting circuit, will have to give it a try soon!

Kudos' to ROG!

stm

Quote from: lenwood on March 13, 2007, 11:56:56 AM
Just a question:

On the mosfet section , does it need a led or zener diode to prevent static damage?
I don't think it needs protection as it is driven by a stage whose output levels are well defined, and also due to the relatively high resistors around the gate.  I foresee more possibility of damaging the MOSFET with manipulation previous to its final installation in the circuit.

Nevertheless, if you'd like to be extra sure, a conventional (i.e. not the hi-eff newer types) red or lime-green LED wired in anti-parallel with the gate-source junction of the MOSFET should be just fine.

slacker

Looks good, I'll have to find some breadboard space for it. Especially nice to see a new design in light of the recent discussions that have been going on here.

lenwood

Lennie

chemman

Amazing projects at runoffgroove.

Threw an omega together using spare parts with 2n7000 as the mosfet.

Biased the 2n5457 to 4.5V easily and truthfully it sounds great. Perfect boost for my needs. has grit at lower settings but the natural tone of the guitar is preserved. Maxed out it has a very nice sounding overdrive to it. Rangemaster vs. Omega..??? haven;t biased omega to 7v but so far omega is a more versatile pedal and adds inspiring color to the tone.

Other boosters i have built:

MicroAMP - not very transparent, never liked opamps for pure boost
Mosfet boost - most transparent and clean boost but can hum at high boost.
sparkle boost deluxe - used it a few times, nice sound but it didn't have enough magic to stay in my pedal chain   
LPB-1  - not very transparent, lots of grit

Hands down OMEGA is the best because there is NO noise. Out of a casing this circuit can be maxed out and its puzzling how there is no hum. Through my modded valve junior this pedal fvcking rocks with distortion leads.

GREAT job at runoffgroove and very excited to see how THOR will sound. Gotta love the quality of Mosfet based circuits.

-chemman