atari punk console question

Started by nag hammadi, March 11, 2007, 08:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nag hammadi

one of my very best friends lost his dog to a car.  we are "dog people", so this is a big deal...

i am making him an atari punk console tonight, and i NEED to get it finished (he is leaving town tomorrow morning.

i used dragonfly's vero layout (many thanks).  i added a spst switch between the battery and ground.  i also strung up a simple volume pot (100k) before the output.  lug 3 = in, lug 2=out, lug 3= ground.

it works, but it's not there yet...

volume works, with scratchiness.  the switch (probably damaged - it came out of an old parts box) doesn't turn it on and off, but "wiggles" the pitch. 

and i am not getting the pot on the right to do anything except at the VERY top of the sweep.

i did a good preliminary check:  vero strips not bridges, traces cut, jumpers in the right place etc.

i have double checked the wiring of the pots, and all is good.

any suggestions?

i REALLY want to get this done for my buddy in honor of memo the dog's passing.
in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

nag hammadi

funkbass187

i don't know if it'll help, but i have the switch in mine between the +9v wire and the board rather than the  -9v and the ground. maybe that could fix it?
"some men see things as they are and ask why... i dream things that never were and ask 'Y NOT'"

choklitlove

my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Meanderthal

Heh, I was going to answer before, but didn't really have a solution. All I can tell ya is I perfed a 2 555 version and had the same problems(mostly), then after a 2 hour debug just built another one, checking against the schematic every step... and discovered the layout had a missing trace. Bingo.

That one's not the same layout, but may have a similar missing trace...

That's all I got... sorry...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

funkbass187

Quote from: Meanderthal on March 11, 2007, 09:57:00 PM
Heh, I was going to answer before, but didn't really have a solution. All I can tell ya is I perfed a 2 555 version and had the same problems(mostly), then after a 2 hour debug just built another one, checking against the schematic every step... and discovered the layout had a missing trace. Bingo.

That one's not the same layout, but may have a similar missing trace...

That's all I got... sorry...

i used dragonfly's vero layout and didn't have that problem so that most likely isn't it.
"some men see things as they are and ask why... i dream things that never were and ask 'Y NOT'"

$uperpuma

without seeing it, it may be hard to tell, but is the input sleeve ground still connected to the battery and the board? For this reason I usually use the switch to break 9v on those
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

nag hammadi

Quote from: $uperpuma on March 11, 2007, 10:08:34 PM
without seeing it, it may be hard to tell, but is the input sleeve ground still connected to the battery and the board? For this reason I usually use the switch to break 9v on those

there isn't an input on these.  it is just a signal / noise generator.

nag hammadi

$uperpuma

Quote from: nag hammadi on March 11, 2007, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: $uperpuma on March 11, 2007, 10:08:34 PM

there isn't an input on these.  it is just a signal / noise generator.
output is what I meant....... it just seems that there is other ground continuity thats keeping the circuit live, so that came to mind...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.